Bruny Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bruny Island
September 4th 2018
Published: November 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

A very cold start today, not helped that we aren't fully settled into our van with organising beds, making meals and packing. We'll get there.

Headed off to Kettering to catch the ferry, plenty of time to regroup and work out what we are doing today.

We saw the sign for Bruny Island Cheese and enjoyed the talk from one of the girls about the different cheeses. She's one of the many people we met who are originally from Brisbane/QLD. She was happy to put some of the freshly baked bread aside for us. Great range of local cheeses, beers and ciders and jams.

We met up with our friends at the cruise centre where we were advised to put on the cold weather clothing provided by the operators at Bruny Island Cruises. Thank God for that as even though the day was reasonably warm, once we were out on the water the wind was coming straight off the Antarctica! The cruise ended up being one of most memorable highlights, made all the more enjoyable by the running commentary from the Captain. The scenery of the rocks, caves, numerous seals and bird life was impressive. We would do that trip again.

Next stop was Bruny Island Honey, a little shop with a huge range of honey made from a wide selection of flowers. This was probably the start of my honey obsession!

The Bruny Island Chocolate Company got a good doing over were we stocked up on Rocky Road, and then back to Bruny Island Cheese were we picked up our earlier bread purchases and selected 3 or 4 cheeses.

The delightfully named Get Shucked was the next stop for the freshest oysters

A great day on Bruny Island. It's easy to see why the locals are so protective of their Island, comments like they'll never be a MacDonalds here, and to take care on the roads etc. A place I think we'll go back and enjoy for a longer period next time.

We decided to head back to Hobart for the night, so as to get an easier start for tomorrow. Thumbs up to the Big 4 Caravan Park. Very friendly, clean and plenty of room.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb