Hi from Maitland, Yorke Peninsula, S.A.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Yorke Peninsula
April 25th 2010
Published: April 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Maitland ShowgroundsMaitland ShowgroundsMaitland Showgrounds

Making ourselves at home for a coule of days!
Hi all
We left Adelaide yesterday after 5 nights there, and drove back up to Port Wakefield , where we had lunch in a rest area. Then we turned off west, and began exploring the Yorke Peninsula. So far we have seen flattish country with more wheat fields. We decided on central Maitland , with it's showgrounds a cheap stop for a couple of nights. It's a long weekend here in S.A. , they get Monday off when Anzac Day is on a Sunday, so lots of Adelaide people have headed this way, especially to the coastal camping areas. Here we have our own "shed", with power and water laid on, parking for the car undercover and a big area undercover to sit, hang washing etc. There was another van here last night, but tonight we have the whole place to ourselves. Last night it rained here, but today was fine again.
Today we did a tiki tour to Port Victoria on the west coast, walked the jetty, and saw lots of people fishing, but not catching anything! Tomorrow we will head down the peninsula further, where the prettier beaches are.
After Whyalla we had one night at Port Lowly at the free park area near the ramps. I practised my casting, but didn't catch any fish. From there we headed to Port Augusta to complete our circumnavigation of Australia. We had one night there, did the lookouts, then it was on to Adelaide and back to West Beach. It's a place that holds happy memories for us, we stayed there in a cabin with Graeme and Margaret on our way to Alice Springs and eventually the Simpson Desert trip, and last time we met our friends Trevor and Margaret Seib, and celebrated the Melbourne Cup Day with them there. This time we were behind Joy and Jeff. Joy's cousin Alan and his wife Maree and there friends were also there, so again we had a social time there. After days of doing our own thing, we would meet up at 5pm each night for drinks, a game with no name, and sometimes we would BBQ our dinner there also at the common area, near the pool. It was great fun.
Our morning walks along the beach or on the walkway beside the beach were great. It really is a lovely spot, the campsite is beside the beach, and handy to
Port Victoria JettyPort Victoria JettyPort Victoria Jetty

Most coastal towns here have jetties.
everything.
We arranged storage for our van and car for when we go home next month, and booked our car in for service. One day we drove out to the Adelaide Hills, and revisited Mt Lofty, the Botanic Gardens and Hahndorf, very pretty at present with autumn colours.
On Thursday, Joy and Jeff took their car and van out to Mt Barker for storage for a year or so. They had organised a high rise apartment for their last night at Glenelg, so we all met there at 5pm for our drinks, and watched the sun go down. Then we all walked to the Glenelg Surf Club for dinner. We have enjoyed their company, and hope things work out well at home for them.
Friday morning we had to get the car to the other side of the city by 7.30am for it's service. We caught a bus to the city and spent the day walking - Rundle Mall, Art Gallery, Museum, etc. We eventually found where to catch a bus back to pick up the car. By the time we got back to the van we were exhausted!
As I write this Tracey is pounding the streets of London,
Circumnavigation complete!Circumnavigation complete!Circumnavigation complete!

Pt Augusta from the water tower lookout.
hopefully completing her first full marathon in a time she can be proud of. I guess she will really know what exhausted is, by the time she is finished!!!
On Saturday we rang our grandson Dylan for his 2nd birthday, and had a long conversation with him on our prepaid phone. I was worried the phone would run out of money before he would give up the phone to his parents!! The joys of grandchildren! It will be good to see the boys again in May, but Tracey Kent and girls will still be in U.K. so we will miss them.
Thanks to all those who have sent news this week. Tony, hope your hand is on the improve.
Regards Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Dinner at Glenelg Surf ClubDinner at Glenelg Surf Club
Dinner at Glenelg Surf Club

Chris, Brian, Carolyn, Alan, Maree, Jeff and Joy


25th April 2010

Well Done
It is amazing that you have done the whole of Australia. Your blog has been such a joy to read and it's been wonderful learning about the areas you visited. I must say Lynne, that you have a gift for writing and must somehow continue with it. Hopefully this won't be your last "issue", so I will stay tuned!
26th April 2010

More to see yet!
Thanks Susi, we will come home for 3 weeks, then continue on, there is still some places we haven't been, it's a BIG country! We want to go to Broken Hill, Canberra, and the se coast of NSW south of Sydney, as we have missed them. Then we will head back north to Queensland's east coast. The house is rented to November, but not sure how long we will stay over here at this stage. Cheers Lynne
26th April 2010

Congratulations!
Well done Crumpys! Congratulations on achieving your dream. Looking forward to seeing you home again soon. XX
26th April 2010

keeping in touch
Hi to you both, love your latest pics and news.......we did the Yorke Peninsular/ loved all the little quaint towns...would you believe we have bought a camper trailer off road..........still have the van...! I said i would be down grading to that in all my mod cons......but at least i can do some driving now. Our 5th grandie is due early Sept in Bowen...so looks like we will be heading that way. We hope to leave prob at the end of May.....not sure which way we will head yet.... enjoy your time at home...... regards Mardi n Bap
3rd May 2010

So good to hear from you
Glad you got up to Sapphire again, we look forward to going back there too. We will certainly try to stay a few days with you on the way back up. Not sure when it will be as yet. Cheers Lynne and Chris

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb