Surfing at Victor Harbor


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Victor Harbor
April 3rd 2007
Published: April 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Middleton BeachMiddleton BeachMiddleton Beach

Where we caught our waves
Today we started our Kangaroo Island tour. Our first stop was Victor Harbor, a famous spot in South Australia for surfing and partying! We went to Middleton beach and got changed into our wetsuits- always exciting! However not always flattering! We then got given our surf boards and went for a warm up jog and stretches on the sand. We had some training on how to surf and practised the technique on our boards on the sand. We also learnt a bit about rips so that we could recognise them and what to do if we got caught in one. Then it was time to hit the water- we were so excited. Me and Laura tried to stay together but after she winded me with her surf board we thought it best to spread out a bit! We both gave everything we had to catch a wave- not as easy as it seems!

We both caught waves and managed to get to our knees but as soon as we attempted to stand we lost our balance and fell off! We swallowed half the ocean between us, it seemed, but our spirits did not waver! We just had so much
Laura and our minibusLaura and our minibusLaura and our minibus

All kitted out for the surf!
fun trying to improve our technique. Timing is the key to catching a wave and actually surfing- something that takes practise. We would both like to go surfing again in the future when we're back in England.

Our next stop after surfing was a BBQ for lunch. It was really nice to sit and chill for a bit and we started getting to know the other people on our tour. There were 12 of us altogether- a nice group size. The weather was lovely too which was lucky as it is obviously Autumn now. We stopped off in Victor Harbor town for a look around some of the souvenir shops and then a quick beer before making our way to Cape Jervis where we got the boat to Kangaroo Island. It was a fairly good crossing although the water was a bit rough and I did get a bit wet and then fell over when trying to move to the front of the boat to take shelter!!

When we arrived at KI we drove to the farm where we were staying for the 2 nights. We had dinner and then went to the coast to do a night tour of the Little Penguins! We had to use red torches as the white light is too harsh for their eyes. We saw 4 altogether- they were so cute. No pics though as we weren't allowed to use our flash and it was too dark without. After that we made our way back. Me and Laura played some cards and we had a fire in the lounge area and toasted marshmallows which was fun and very tasty!

We had a great first day : )


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Our view from the boatOur view from the boat
Our view from the boat

Looking back at the mainland


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb