Road Trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Robe
October 1st 2007
Published: October 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday saw the start of our long drive back to Melbourne. We picked up the car at 10am and started the first leg of our journey; a 400km drive to Robe. First stop was the German village of Hahndorf for breakfast. This was one of the first German settlements in Australia and is a very pretty little place. They also do a nice bacon and egg toastie!

The roads between Adelaide and Robe are long, straight and pretty quick. Finding a stop for lunch proved a little more challenging than breakfast. The ‘towns’ were spaced about half an hour apart and I can’t say that we actually noticed any of them. They generally consisted of a couple of houses and a layby. We ended up stopping at a roadhouse in Salt Creek complete with local hillbillies! We managed to grab a couple of sandwiches and headed to the safety of the car to eat them before commencing the final long stretch to Robe. In all seriousness, the roadhouse was actually very friendly with a good range of food, although it did take me a while to persuade Alyson to get out of the car!

We did make one more brief stop when Alyson spotted a giant lobster out of the window. According to the guidebook, this lobster (located in the small town of Kingston) is called Larry. Kingston is famous for its lobster fishing trade but unfortunately we are 2 days too early, so no lobster for us! The drive took us through the Mount Benson wine region, although we have drunk enough wine to last a lifetime so decided not to stop!

The YHA in Robe is housed in an old manor house on the edge of Lake Fellmongery. We were greeted by the manager on our arrival and given the guided tour. We have the only ensuite room here which is enormous with TV and DVD and spa bath! Very luxurious for a hostel. The weather had taken a turn for the worse so we managed to breifly see the town from the hire car before heading back to the warmth of the log fire at the hostel!

Today we woke up to blue skies so headed straight out on the cliff top walk to the town. This took us along a walking trail around Southern Point, taking in Guichen Bay and the Southern Ocean. It was extremely beautiful and we saw lots of great beaches, the jetty and an Obelisk look out point. Alyson also saw a lizard that we had seen in a museum in Adelaide, which she didn’t seem too keen about.

Tomorrow we are heading on our longest drive of the trip, to Port Fairy in Victoria.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb