The Mighty Murray River Explorers


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Riverland
February 17th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ah! the Mighty Murray River. 36degrees. Bright sunshine - all day. Willy willys. Dust and flies. We left the peaceful and clear waters of the Murray headwaters and headed further westward. Hume Weir is very low. Picked up some fuel and groceries (no fruit - they shoot ya if ya carry fruit around here) in Wodonga. Stayed on the banks of the Murray in Barmah State Park. Swam, caught shrimp and fished all day. Sandy banks and clearish water. The River Red Gums just drop huge branches without any warning.
Wednesday 13th Feb. Headed off again towards Nyah State Forest, you guessed it, on the banks of the Murray. Camped overnight and fished some more. Stopped where the Murray and Murrumbidge Rivers meet. Very peaceful, some fish, murky water and our very own sandy beach again.
Friday 15th Feb. The peace was shattered late arvo by weekend campers arriving. People, kids, dogs and boats all within earshot of our serenity. Decided to move-on first thing Sunday morning. Did a big boat trip upstream along the Murray, did a bit of adventuring along the river banks. Back to camp and loaded the boat back onto the trailer and put things away ready for an early departure in the morning. Where are my glasses? Hunted high low. Cleaned and repacked 'everything' - no glasses. Maybe I dropped them when we got out of the boat up-stream? Set the boat up again, motor back upstream and there they were sitting on the bank waiting for me to return. Don't get old.
Sunday 17th Feb. Westward again. Multitudes of huge farms with acres and acres of fruit trees and olive plantations, all irrigated from the poor old Murray River. Visited Hattah-Kylkine National Park. Beautiful dry Mallee overflow country with freshwater lakes. Crossed into South Australia with their fruit-fly guards monitoring the border. Very thorough search of the vehicle and trailer. Earlier in the day we cooked-up all the vegies into a Bolognaise Sauce, apparently cooked vegies are OK to pass interstate. Stopped overnight at Barmera on Lake Bonney after looking at several dry and barren National Parks. This area is so over-farmed with grapes and citrus it appears to be destroying the countryside. There are salt flats at the bottom of every hillside.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



17th February 2008

mighty murray
So pleased you travelled the mighty Murray Peter. Cobram Barooga west of Yarrawonga is where my husband and i grew up. Amazingly we were in Cobram onthe 9th February so must have just missed you or perhaps you were that grey haired old bastard doddling along holding up traffic!!! Hope you catch some cod cheers buncs

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb