Dutchman's stern


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Quorn
July 14th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Quorn

Zoom in to see detail;

Introduction


The hikers ventured to Quorn for some holidays with friends. About 10 minutes out of Quorn is a walking trail that takes you to the top of Dutchman's stern - a rocky hill that affords views to Wilpena Pound in one direction, and Spencer Gulf and Port Augusta in the other. The Information centre in the Main street in Quorn had free walking maps (and lots of not-so-helpful advice).

How to get there


Quorn is the gateway to the Flinders and is located about 3.5 hours drive North of Adelaide. The route map linked to this blog shows you the way.

What happened


The 5 of us started out late in the afternoon allowing about 2.5 hours for the walk. The start of the walk was part of the Heysen trail and followed around the peak before climbing on the Eastern side to checkpoint three. The track was rocky but tacked gently from left to right to make the climb an easy one.

Ken and Natalie paused at the 2.2 km mark, but Cian, Dan, Peter and I pressed on the 4.0 km to Checkpoint 3 to see the magnificent view. There was 2 cairns on this peak and a place to sign your name in a climber's book.

We made our way down - but I lost my footing and banged my head on the rocks - Peter applied liquid band-aids (like a super glue for wounds - a must have in your first aid kit) and panadol and I was quickly on my way again.

At the foot of the hill we saw boxing kangaroos, watched by a rather large mob of kangaroos. Because it was all about showing how tough the fighting roos were, we were able to walk really close before they scattered.

There was a longer walk (~5 hours) which we will do another day.

Dan says...



Hello again readers!

Dutchman's stern - what can I say - a beautiful walk, lovely landscape and lots of yackas and native flora. It was great to have Cian along - he powered up like a real trooper. Natalie, oh well, better luck next time.

A joke ...

Q: What did the banana say to the monkey?

A: Nothing, bananas don't talk.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Ken and NatalieKen and Natalie
Ken and Natalie

Heading up
SummitSummit
Summit

Looking West
SummitSummit
Summit

Looking South


30th July 2007

Wow
Hi Quinns - Patty here. Very nice to have a blog update after so long without one. This one's my favourite so far - impressive landscapes! Keep walking! P
31st July 2007

Hi Patty
Glad to hear from you - where are you and Richard at the moment? We were all seriously moved by the view from the top - it really took our breath away. Maximum serenity. A must do.

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb