The Nullarbor


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Nullarbor

This was our first challenge for driving the vast distances that Oz casually throws at you. The Eyre Highway stretches across from South Australia into Western Australia. It's a really strange set up here going from one state to another - it's like going to a new country - we had to go through 'border control' where they checked all our stuff - searching (shock, horror) for fresh fruit & veg! They're trying to stop fruit flies from entering Western Oz. We cracked up over this - has no-one told them that these things can FLY! We imagined these fruit flies disguising themselves to try to cross the border! Wigs, dark glasses etc etc.

Anyway, the drive took us 4 days from Flinders to Perth. The Nullarbor (which means 'treeless) stretched forever around us. We thought it would be really boring, but actually we enjoyed it in a strange way. It was a real experience and something totally different to anything we've done before. The ipod was on shuffle and the unusual signs along the way helped to pass the time.

We saw southern right whales at the Head of Bight, which was exciting - too far for good photos though. I could do with a really good zoom.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Head of BightHead of Bight
Head of Bight

This is where we saw the whales
Head of BightHead of Bight
Head of Bight

This is where we saw the whales
Me eating in the laundryMe eating in the laundry
Me eating in the laundry

There was no-where else to eat at this very basic site!


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb