Mum's update no.3 (and rich too! x.x)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Mt Gambier
July 9th 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for keep doing this in such big chunks but we are just too busy doing stuff!
The only problem is that now that it is Thursday morning, I am having trouble remembering what we did when. I did have great plans to keep a diary but again we are filling our time so much that I dont get chance to make notes.
Anyhow, since arriving here in Mt Gambier we have been mainly catching up with family, visiting the 'sights', eating, drinking eating and drinking some more and generally having a great time.
The people here are so lovely. Very casual, easy going and fun.
The weather here has been great! Dad keeps insisting that it is freezing. (15 degrees C) I can't believe that he has forgotten what a British summer is like so soon.
We have been more than happy with this wall to wall cool sunshine. I have kept up my running in the mornings and found it a great way of meeting the locals and getting to know the area. (well a very small area cos I only do a 3 mile circuit) Luckily it is very flat here, so no serious hills to worry about.
We have been taken to Valley Lake (a beautiful blue lake in the top of a volcanic crater) and wildlife reserve (where we saw our first large group of Kangaroos); Naracoorte Caves, where we had a personal guide and Richard did some adventure caving. One of the many highlights of that trip was being served lunch by Australia's version of Basil Fawlty. I certanily didn't expect entertainment with lunch but he was such a comic. That day was rounded off with ten pin bowling more eating and even more drinking.
Yesterday we went over to Nelson, Donovans Jetty and while Richard and Dad fished on the Glennell River we went 'walkabout'. Luckilly with this being winter the snakes were probably asleep so we were quite relaxed about the whole thing.
After the walking fishing bit, we drove to the coast and had yet more food at this little restaurant called 'Perriwinkle'. Of course by the time we got there they had finished serving lunch and they were closing. It would seem that a lot of the restaurants open for lunch then close and do not re open until late evening for dinner. Like I said though, they are very accommodating and even though they had 'Cleaned all the grill' the owner rustled us a big bowl of wedges with sour dream and chilli jam and garlic bread. Sounds strange but it just hit the spot I can tell you. We had, had quite a walkabout.
we returned to Dads, chilled for a bit, and to make up for our 'light' lunch went to a restaurant later that evening for the best seafood platter I have ever eaten.

Today is Thursday 9th July and we are planning a quieter day. Just popping into the town to look around in a bit. We are going over to Karen, Mark and Todd's this evening for a 'Barbie' in our honour. We are taking our swimmers cos they have a pool but Dad is already having a nervous breakdown about the idea of us using it cos it's WINTER! I guess there will be rather a lot more eating and even more drinking but I am sure we will cope.
Speak to you all again soon. With any luck we will upload some photos at Karens tonight.

___

And Me too!. spur of the moment entry. becuase no good me doing a whole new one is there :P

Fishing was great fun, we used coccles(?) and were having bites every time. and i really mean, every, time. the bait was great. but easy to take of. so tyhey got away on a few occasions. out of the 20 odd cockles we had, at a slow pace we got 18 breem!. Grandad 8 - 10 Richard! :P so that was pretty fun, shame the vidio camera decided to go walkabout! >.> but i got a vidio on my lumix :3 so ill have to locate a file transformer! (Send it too you x3)

The meal was great. mum had a seafood plater like Dad and Joss. (Gdad) but i had a chicken Shnitzel! it was like a plate XD! i ordered gravey and chips too! it was spot on!.

Mum has said it all. promice to get some pics for ya soon!

- Rich


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb