On the Shore of Lake Alexandrina


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Meningie
February 12th 2006
Published: February 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Swan HillSwan HillSwan Hill

Drinking with a friend on the shores of the Murray
Was wondering why we hadn't heard any feedback from my Swan Hill epistle and have found that I had saved it but not publised it to the web! Silly old Aunty Jo. As I have said before we are still learning to do this. I had wanted to add some more photos but it is so slow to download I lose patience. There must be an easier way and I will find it. Anyway we have had the most marvellous few days. After leaving Pinaroo we drove to Bordertown in SA losing all our fruit and vegies at the border. Happened on the way to Deniliquin also so now we will be watching borders carefully. Bordertown on the Dukes Hwy is very pretty and had a good chat to the lady at the tourist info. She directed us to Naracoorte to the limestone caves and then Penola where Mary McKillop started the Sisters of St Joseph and through the Coonewarra wine district to Robe. It took us a full day but was wonderful. The area has an unemployment level of 0.0?% can't remember the exact figure but she said they just can't get enough workers in most areas, particularly young people. If we were a young married couple just starting out I would be there with bells on. New houses going up everywhere and obviously a lot of money around. This area reportedly also has the most fertile soil in the world. Looking at the grape vines you would not doubt that claim.

Spent 2 nights in Robe. We had been through here about 17 years ago and always said we would like to come back. Like so many places here on the Limestone coast it was just a fishing village about 3 hours south of Adelaide. Has now been gentrified and reminded us of Gerroa with the older holiday houses alongside the mansions. Beautiful blue ocean and we stayed in a park on the banks of Lake Fellmongery. I can't believe how lovely these caravan parks are. We got a spot about 10 metres from the edge of the lake and had a milliion dollar view of the water skiers and birds (feathered veriety) and it was only a short walk into town to eat at the pub. Leaving after the school holidays was a great idea as all these parks are not even half full.

Met up
MeningieMeningieMeningie

On the shores of Lake Alexandrina
with some people in the pub on Friday night and 2 of the blokes said they were playing golf the next day and invited John along. Dave was the local senior policeman and his mate a financial adviser from Adelaide. They played at Kingston and like everyone we come across really interested in our trip. Brought a very happy John home about 5 pm and then came back at 7 with half a crayfish. Yum!! By the way John played fairly well by all accounts so it wasn't just the beer that made him happy. He was with you Kinetic boys in spirit.

It's Sunday today and we have now driven all along the Limestone Coast and through the Coorong National Park (where Storm Boy was filmed). It is famous for its diversity of bird life with over 200 species recorded many making a yearly return journey to northern Alaska (got that bit ou of the guide book). Will be here at Meningie for one night and are about 20 metres from the shore of Lake Alexandrina, the sun is shining but it is a bit blowy. There are pelicans everywhere and it looks just like a scene from a movie.

So have now added some photos including one from Swan Hill that I lost the other day. Hope you enjoy reading and looking. Love to hear from you all.
Jo and John

Advertisement



26th February 2006

Hello Hello Hello
Just a hello from Lee and Tobes! Hope you two are havin a ball! Say hi to South Australia for Toby!!

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0963s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb