McLaren Vale, South Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » McLaren Vale
January 18th 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

McLaren Vale turned out to be a fantastic "home base" for exploring Adelaide and surrounds. Camping amongst the vinyards a 10-minute walk from the charming village, we lazed away the days swimming in the caravan park swimming pool, enjoying local wines, olive oils, and taking in the small-town ambiance. Dinner at the Salopian Inn, a fine dining experience in a country-house atmosphere, was a real highlight.

We took a quick trip (20 minutes) into Adelaide for a treat at Cocolat, a chocolate cafe in the city. While there we escaped the heat (it was 40+) and took in a movie. Maslin Beach was another treat, though it wasn't until we had been there for a while that we discovered there is an "unclad" streach of beach a bit further up. No-one was game for a naked stroll!

Another treat was Granite Island, just off Port Elliott. We opted for the touristy Clydesdale-drawn, double-decker tram for the ride down the causeway to the island. And the "Flying Fish" restaurant in Port Elliott really did have the worlds best fish and chips--at least it seemed to on the day.

The girls finished our stay with private horse-riding lessons from Mandy, a former Australian champion now living in the Adelaide Hills. After the lessons, Mandy let the girls get up close and personal with a 6-week old colt and its mother. What a rare and amazing moment!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb