Look No Hands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Kangaroo Island
March 28th 2009
Published: March 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

AnniversaryAnniversaryAnniversary

Cliff & Sue 29th Wedding Anniversary
DAY 141

We woke up to a very warm morning, and the sun was blazing in as it came over the top of the mountain, it had been a very cold night and we had also been reluctant to get out of our sleeping bags, (still singles which allows less air to flow freely so we can keep warmer) when we finally did get up it was around 9.00am, we can’t believe we are sleeping for so long.

The visitor of the furry kind that we had the night before, left muddy paw prints on our chairs, table and the lid of the gas stove, most definitely these are Possum prints. The ones here are not as brave as the ones on Cradle Mountain, but they are still smart and still know where they can find food. We have been cautious recently and anything edible is locked in the truck, unless they have the keys they are not getting there paws on our food!

Cliff and Sue our camping neighbours were already up, today was their 29th Wedding Anniversary, we asked if they had exchanged cards, but no was the answer, when Sue’s back was turned Andy picked
OutOutOut

Driving out of the camp site towing the trailer in 4WD
some flowers and gave them to Cliff to give to Sue.

It is such a beautiful place that it had been our intention to set the swag up and sleep on the beach, as It would have been fantastic listening to the sound of the sea, but as we had a latish night we really couldn’t be bothered to take all our stuff like, swag, sleeping bags pillows etc our of the trailer and down to the shore (next time though) there are plenty of beaches in this part of the world.

The morning had produced a lot of dew and the outside of the tent was quite damp, as this was a free camp site, well $5.00, we would not be turfed out at a certain time and could wait until the sun dried the tent, so it could all be packed away dry.

By the time we had a cup of tea, we continued our story telling with Cliff and Sue, “Don’t worry Cliff your secret is safe with us,” another cup of tea, then we reviewed the large Australia map to see how far we had come and what we think we can fit in before mid June and finally packed away it was midday. We discussed the possibility of staying here another night and going to the Cricket match and BBQ that we had been invited to by a couple the night before, but we wanted to get closer to the Eastern part of Kangaroo Island to see a little more and be in the right place to catch the ferry back to the mainland, so we intended to head off towards, Stokes Bay to have a look and then on to the lavender farm for an ice cream.

To get out of Western River Cove we drove up the track a short way to a homestead, which had plenty of frontage by the gates so that we could turn round. We needed to be pointing in the right direction in order to get up the hill, i.e. from the campsite in the cove itself there was a very tight hairpin bend that would take you straight up the hill, it would be too tight to get the truck and trailer round.

Caroline at the wheel, pulled up before we tackled the hill, selected 4-wheel drive and then went for it. It was slow going but we pulled the trailer up the hill no problem at all. We can see why you could not do this with a caravan and neither do we think it would have been a good idea if you only had 2 wheel drive and towing this trailer.

We made it back out to the coast road towards Constitution Hill and Snellings Beach. The view was as breathtaking as it was yesterday. I think that you would not get used to such a view, it would have to be enjoyed every day.

We reached Stokes Bay, grabbed our swimming things and went to the beach. The beach looks very rocky from where we are standing, however we are assured that the beach is a white sandy and turquoise water variety.

So we set about following the signs to the beach. We find ourselves treading through rocks and in amongst some long since fallen boulders there is a natural pathway, the rocks almost make a tunnel, there is one section that feels a little claustrophobic.

We finally get through and voila! A white sandy beach and turquoise water as we have been promised. Our
The ViewThe ViewThe View

View of Western Cove
towels are laid out and we put on our factor 30, and lie in the sun, it isn’t long before Andy wanders off and gets in to the water, again the water is really cold so I just paddle, which is nice. We only spend about an hour at stokes bay then have to move on. Incidentally there is a little café at Stokes Bay, but considering the soup cost $12.00 decided to give it a miss.

Still on the corrugations for another 40K’s or so we drive on, the sun is absolutely beating down, the road suddenly turns to bitumen, in a flash and everything goes quiet. We cannot hear anything and we both make sure our teeth are still in place.

Emu Bay is lovely, but then so is everything here when the sun is shining; there are some very lovely seafront properties here. We pick up the Kingscote Road which takes us then to the Emu Bay Lavender Farm this is a must see and is based on a working sheep farm, unfortunately not quite the right time to see all of the Lavender in full blossom, however that does not matter, we pop into the shop, and hunting around the usual lavender goodies such as the pillows to help you sleep, stuff to hang in the wardrobe to make things smell nice and other touristy goodies.

We see the freezer cabinet in the corner of the shop and nestled in the freezer are little tubs of Lavender Ice Cream. This is the only reason why we are here, it is nice to see the lavender farm, but it is not often that you see Lavender ice cream and at only $2.50 a tub we think it is good value for money.

We make our purchase, chat to the owner for a spell, she tells us how they got up and running, trial and error pretty much as neither of them knew a thing about Lavender. They both grew up on Kangaroo Island so settling here wasn’t a problem, it was just about finding a business that would work here. They seem to be quite successful.

Sitting outside in the shade we slowly work our way through the tubs of ice cream. It tastes delicious, we would definitely recommend trying some.

It is time now to hit the road and find
The SeaThe SeaThe Sea

We can see the Sea
a campsite, so we head down to Kingscote, pick up a few groceries so that we can eat for a couple of days and then on to American River for the camp site.


American River is in Camps 5, ref 416 page 278 however it is not a big site and we find that you have to pay $15.00 for the night. There are public toilets, the ladies are quite clean and there are two showers in there. The gents, so Andy tells me are not so good and there is one shower. We are not impressed at the cost, neither of us think it is worth $15.00, but I think you are paying for the view and the convenience of being next to the boat ramp.

We both say that we will shower in the morning. The view across the bay to Eastern Cove is magnificent; there are Black Swans and Pelicans gently paddling in the smooth mirror like water, the sun is going down and we get on with some tea before it gets too dark.

I rustle up bacon and egg sandwiches and a glass of diet coke. After dinner we tidy our things up, Andy makes a cup of tea and we play cards.

It is warm even though it is now dark, we have plugged in the 12v light to the back of the truck and we sit out for the game of cards. It is pay back time this evening, one after another hand I beat Andy, not giving him any lee way soon Andy has expired all of his points and I am declared the winner, until another day of course when Andy I am sure will do the same to me.

We go to bed once it gets a little chillier,



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Stokes BayStokes Bay
Stokes Bay

The Water was cold
To the beachTo the beach
To the beach

I won't describe what it looks like
PassagePassage
Passage

To the beach


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb