Going all Attenborough on Kangaroo Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Kangaroo Island
January 28th 2009
Published: January 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

P1010399P1010399P1010399

Hog Bay
Kangaroo Island. Perfect for some chilled out time, getting to one with nature and taking in the magnificant scenery and wildlife. So, we booked a trip that included 2 nights in the island's YHA hostel and a tour.
Having been told that we could spot penguins come in from the sea when it gets dark, off we went to Hog Bay, holed up on the beach and waited with bated breath for the little darlings to appear. Now, those of you reading this that know me also know that my eyesight is not what you would call 20-20. And not to disrespect my fellow travellers Bloomy and Simmo, even with their contact lenses in, they were also struggling to see. So we sat and waited, then sat and waited some more, each of us certain that the miniscule movements on yonder rocks, real and imagined, were those of the dear penguins getting ready to venture ashore. It was only when our noses, fingers, toes and other extremities turned blue with cold that we gave it up as a bad job and retired to our beds. Better luck tomorrow, we hoped. Having said that, we did come across lots of little wallabies, who came fairly near to us, so all was not lost.
The next day we went on a tour of the island, visiting Flinders National Park, the Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and Seal Bay, where we saw hundreds of seals, basking in the sun having returned from sea, hunting for food. We also watched a Birds of Prey show, where Geen (the brave, remember) held a kookaburra - although she decided to pass on the eagle with a 1000 ft wingspan (or so it seemed).
So with renewed vigour, (and a couple of tequilas, eh Justin? Them Kings of Leon got a lot to answer for!) we took off for a second night of hoped for penguin spotting and spot them we did!! Well, only 2 of them but it was worth the wait (even if it meant frightening off all other potential nature lovers with our get up, having wrapped the blankets from our hostel round us and looking like we've stepped out of Star Wars!)
Anyway, following a hot but healthy walk on the beach and round part of the island the next day, a beer was long overdue and so back to Adelaide to do what we do best!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

P1010429P1010429
P1010429

Remarkable Rocks
P1010450P1010450
P1010450

Admirals Arch
SNV33067SNV33067
SNV33067

Seal Bay
SNV33194SNV33194
SNV33194

Having a beer with our random new friends!


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb