The animals


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Kangaroo Island
April 16th 2007
Published: April 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I have seen a variety of wild-life throughout my trip, but nowhere it was as concentrated as on Kangaroo island. Penguins, seals of different kinds, platypus, koalas, wallabies and kangaroos, of course, to name a few of the animals we saw. I believe I've already commented about the way wild animals seems unusual to me, and it was even stronger now. Walking near the farm we were staying at and noticing a big lump on the tree that turned out to be a Koala seemed even more strange and special.
But I really understood that when we got to the "pelican circus". In Kingscote, the bigger town on the island, there's a guy who feeds the pelicans there every evening. I don't know how did it start, but clearly it's more for the tourist than for the birds. The guy stands there with a bucket of fish, talking and making jokes about the pelicans while the birds are going crazy all around him, waiting to be fed. When he finally starts feeding them, he makes them fight for it and do all kinds of things like catch the fish in the air. He even gave a fish to a sea gull just to make the pelicans chase it. The show concluded with him dumping the remains of the fish to the sea so we can see them trying fanatically to dive after them only to fail due to their buoyancy.
Now, I might have been spending too much time with vegetarians and animals lovers, but that was a pretty horrifying show, to my opinion. More than that, after hearing so much about respecting nature and animals, not feeding them or disturbing them, even on Kangaroo island itself, this spectacular seemed very odd.
And what really gave it the edge was how popular it was. The people there really enjoyed that. It was "a good laugh". This man was an entertainer, and the birds his tools of the profession. Nothing to do with wild life here. Turns out most people just want to enjoy themselves. Hardly a surprise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sand surfingSand surfing
Sand surfing

It is fun...


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb