Northern Flinders Day 6


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today started out very cold - just above freezing but the skies cleared later and it warmed up. We set out on a 4WD trip around the Wilpena Pound starting off at the Cazneaux Tree for a photo shot. We then went via the Bunyeroo & Brachina Gorges and saw wallabies, emus and occasional kangaroo. This was a spectacular trip down the creek beds, with high cliffs on either side. We then emerged on to tar seal again to go up to Parchilna - a one pub settlement on the railway line. The rail line apparently hauls coal to the power station at Port Augusta. We then turned in to the Parchilna Gorge and emerged at the old mining town of Bilman. This was a copper mine established back in 1860 and has old historic buildings everywhere. Life must have been tough in those days judging by the ages of people buried in the graveyard. We travelled on to the Great Wall of China and then returned to Rawnsley Station, down the sealed road. We spent the rest of the day doing washing and getting the internet to work. Up until now we have not had phones, radio, Television or internet coverage but here we have satellite internet and two TV channels.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb