A Life Underground


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
October 16th 1989
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Camel MineCamel MineCamel Mine

The so called Camel Mine in Coober Pedy
Coober Pedy is famous for the fact that everyone lives underground as it is the only way to keep cool in a place where the temperatures reach in excess of 50ÂșC during the day. At night however it was freezing, but it was a pleasant surprise to find that living underground has the opposite effect at night - it retains the heat and keeps you warm.

One of the main problems with Coober Pedy, which is not surprising with it being in the middle of a desert is that there is next to no water. I could only get the smallest of trickles out of the tap to wash, shave and clean my teeth, and a nice refreshing shower was out of the question.

I spent the morning looking round and being harassed by flies. It has been said that the official Australian salute consists of a frantic waving of a hand over your face which also serves to frighten off the flies, but only for about a third of a second. What the hell purpose these creatures serve on this planet, other than tormenting people and spreading disease is beyond me!

In the afternoon I went on
Coober PedyCoober PedyCoober Pedy

A view of the centre of Coober Pedy
an organised tour in a clapped out bus to see all the sights of Coober Pedy. This included someone's underground house - which was huge - a chapel and some opal mines. I shied away from an alternative tour as the bus was even more clapped out, but, I was later disappointed as the tour itself sounded a lot better.

Before I left, I had to buy some opals for my Mum and Sister back home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

HousingHousing
Housing

A Coober Pedy underground housing estate
HotelHotel
Hotel

Our underground hotel
Camel MineCamel Mine
Camel Mine

Inside the Camel Mine
ChapelChapel
Chapel

Inside the town chapel


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb