Underground down under....!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
March 8th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I think i get it....I think i get it....I think i get it....

Awesome sign...i'm loving signs with this blog...
Hello to you,

Two blogs in two days, what's goin on! Think i've pulled my finger out..! These photos are from october last year when we had just left Alice SPrings and stayed for a few nights in a tiny little place called Coober Pedy...it is as weird as it sounds. Its the Opal capital of Australia, loads of the area surrounding this place have been mined for Opal and other stuff. 80% of the town's population live underground in homes that were carved out of the ground by huge drilling machines, some live into homes carved into the cliff faces and hills. All a bit surreal really. Bit like a ghost town when in the evening everyone is underground like moles! Our hostel was great, 6m under the ground which was a novel experience...room was good but dark obviously!

We also ate at a pizza place which was cool, and randomly bumped into people off a trip we had done earlier in Oz..which was cool. Did a tour as well with an old knowledgeable guy who said that his house had been used in films loads! The whole area around Coober Pedy has been use d as backdrops in films due to it looking like a different planet. The breakaways were spectacular....used to be the bottom of the ocean years and years and years ago and it looks amazing. The tour we did was amusing mainly thanks to a German guy who had one of the biggest cameras i had ever seen and who would just jump off the tour bus to take photos when the driver said not too!

It wasn't all that hot when we were there, it rained in fact! Which was weird because they all live underground because it gets so hot! Haha. Anyway, got food to cook so gonna go. Enjoy the snaps, peace and love....

..Thommo


Thanks for the comments guys...bettsy just for you.....ooooooooooooooooooooohh. Nice


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Big signBig sign
Big sign

Fran and a big sign at a roadhouse in the middle of nowhere....like most things in this huge country!!
Our hostel...Our hostel...
Our hostel...

...had tunnels like this and our room was 6m underground. Quality
ViewpointViewpoint
Viewpoint

Looks quite industrial don't you think?! Big mining industry in this town, huge. They look for Opal here
Two models...Two models...
Two models...

Met this chap in a mine exhibition
Peek-a-booPeek-a-boo
Peek-a-boo

Messing around...you know shes hard to control
Leftover propsLeftover props
Leftover props

Those long, tall looking things were used in the film pitch black....
Golf courseGolf course
Golf course

Golf course which has no grass, quality
Watch outWatch out
Watch out

Be careful to avoid any clubs that fly through the air....
Salt and pepperSalt and pepper
Salt and pepper

Suprisingly they get their name from the colour...
Dingo fence!Dingo fence!
Dingo fence!

Big fence that keeps the dingos out of where they shouldnt be...either WA or SA..can't remember


8th March 2007

I've got a girlfriend
thanks for the ooooooooo, man, I feel like a leg-end now. its mine, sarah's and mab's birthday night out on saturday, wish you could be there too bud. will email you some photos. stay fresh, keep the peace, fight the good fight, have a word and get me, a do you get me.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb