Adelaide to Alice Springs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
March 6th 2011
Published: March 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well time to try to catch up I suppose.

Lets begin with Adelaide. Not much to say really only that it was very hot at 35 degrees for the day and half that were there and that it is very much like all the other cities that we have visited so far. On the sunday we did take the tram to Glenelg which is a half hour ride to a suberb by the sea. A quite beautiful resort with a nice sandy beach not that we went swimming.
The following day we set off for Alice Springs on a two hour flight. Now this was very different as it is as I'm sure that you know in the middle of the country and in a desert. The most notable thing for me was the forlorn looking indiginous people (thats what they are called here) sitting around in groups with nothing to do. The local press is full of stories about drink and crime related issues with these people, but apart from seeing a local ranger (police) confiscate some alchohol and pour it away there were no other issues. However walking back to our hotel on the bridge over the the dry river we could see a large group sitting together in a circle in the darkness. Very sad really.

The following day we set off on a coach trip to Yalara which is the resort for the Uluru national park. A really comfortable ride with great commentaries and information form the driver. We stopped at the Camel Park for cofee and arived in the resort ready to check into our hotel and to set off again on the sunst tour of Uluru. There is never a moments rest when Shirley organises things. Now a sunset there was not as it rained. Yes that is correct it rained in the desert.

We were very lucky (irony???) as we are part of the lucky 10% to see it rain on the rock. Never the less it was a great experience. Shirley tours then had me up again and on the same coach at 5:25 the following morning to see the same rock by sunrise. More cloud and no rain this time but a some what subdued effect of the light on the rock.

Ah well you can't plan the weather and we have some really great photos of the lush green countryside which is supposed to be desert. Onward with the coach trip and to the Olgas. This is a mountain range very similar to Uluru (Ayers Rock different name) but bigger and equally as beautiful but not as famous. Here we enjoyed a 2.5 kilometer walk before returning to our hotel to get ready for Shirley tours climax " The Sounds of Silence Dinner in the desert" There we were all washed and dressed and ready to go. Sorry the dinner is cancelled due to the forecast of rain. Poor old Shirley was so disappointed.

So, once again we adopted an alternative plan after chatting to some Aussies we had met and set off for the Out Back Hotel. This hotel had the cheapest beer so it was already looking good and also a restaurant where you bought what ever meat you wanted and barbequed it your self. Choices included Kangaroo, Crocodile and all the usuals and Shirley set about cooking the steak. See the photos which will appear shortly. She made friends with many of the Aussies cooking alongside her as there are many positions from which to cook. It was a great evening after the
Hotel in Alice SpringsHotel in Alice SpringsHotel in Alice Springs

John Doing what he knows best
disappointment earlier.

Well I've rambled on for far to long for now so cheerio and we'll update you later on Sydney.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Camel FarmCamel Farm
Camel Farm

En Route to yalara. Took these as they reminded us of someone. You guess?


7th March 2011

....an the home stretch begins!! Shame about the rain.......but I guess you do owe lady luck one after all! Looking forward to the pictures ....get them on soon! P.S. Pass my love to 'Old' Shirley xxx

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb