central - south oz


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
February 18th 2006
Published: February 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

UluruUluruUluru

Sunrise at Ayers Rock...an unbeliveable experience
Hello everyone from Adelaide!

After finally leaving Alice Springs on Sunday, I began the 2 500km drive down to Adelaide. Although there wasnt much to see on the way down, what we did see was just out of this world - despite the 4am-5am starts!!!

We started our trip to Kings Canyon which was really impressive. Ive done so much stuff its difficult to remember some things but ive taken hundreds of pictures!! What I do remember though is the big red rock - Uluru. Its easy to see why the rock is so spiritual to the Aborigines. Ive never seen anything like it to be honest, especially at sunrise and sunset - wow!!! Some of the colours and the way the rock changed was an incredible site to see. I also climbed the rock - something the Aborigines discourage, but I really couldnt resist. It was hard work, but the views at the top of the rock were really rewarding. From here we could see Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) which for me was just as impressive as Uluru, if not better, yet nobody seems to have heard of it.

We continued our trip down to Coober Pedy,
The Olgas The Olgas The Olgas

Just as impressive yet unheard of. 40kms from Uluru.
a big opal mining town in the middle of nowhere and the most bizarre place ive ever seen. Temperatures at this time of the year can reach up to 50 degrees and so a lot of the houses are built underground. We stayed in a hostel underground in the caves which was cool. The place was just weird though, the whole town looked like it had been built for a movie - it had plenty of character! We had a look for opal but I failed miserably - its still 2 minute noodles for me!

The following day was a trip through the Flinders Rangers. Here we watched sunrise at breakaways (amazing) and did a couple of hikes around the National Park including Mt Ohlsehn Bhagg and Mt Remarkable. Once again I just cant describe how breathtaking it was, but yeah, breathtaking! Later we painted our faces the same way the Aborigines would, by putting water on a stone, and rubbing another stone against it until you'd get a really cool browny red colour. Everyone decided to completely cover my face, so ive got some pretty cool pictures of Rich the Aboriginee!! The drive along was awesome aswell, tonnes
sunset at ulurusunset at ulurusunset at uluru

Me and the group drinking champagne whilst waiting for sunset
of Kangaroos, Emu's and Camels - I bet you didnt know that theres half a million camels in Australia!! The following evening we ate these three animals for dinner and loved the Kangaroo. The thought of eating a big bird was a bit offputting though...

So here I am in Adelaide. I arrived last night and leave tomorrow which im beginning to regret because from what ive seen today, Adelaide is a really really nice city - green, relaxed, full of churches, parks and best of all is the range of food. As its very oriental, theres a huge variety of food places. Last night I had an all you can eat Chinese for 5 dollars - 2.40 ish. Its like that everywhere and I can tell you, its bloody heaven! Its really different to the other cities ive been to in Australia. Maybe im just suffering from an Outback Hangover but its really nice to see greenland again and more than just the odd tree and desert but im really impressed with Adelaide.


Tomorrow I began a 3 day trip to Melbourne which I cant wait for. I'll be spending my birthday here in what ive
Flinders RangesFlinders RangesFlinders Ranges

Some fantastic views
been told is the best city in Australia. I'll also be looking out for Batman's relative, 'John Batman'. Apparently theres a road called 'Batman Avenue' in the city and a statue of him so ill be having a look for you mate!

Rich












Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Aboriginal RichAboriginal Rich
Aboriginal Rich

Scary looking face goes slightly wrong...
sunsetsunset
sunset

typical outback sunset
A geographers paradiseA geographers paradise
A geographers paradise

Great Ocean Road...amazing


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb