Summer and Christmas - It's just wrong


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
December 15th 2005
Published: March 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our onward location was to be Adelaide, with a few stops on the way. A strange occurrence on this leg was crossing the state border where a man took our Onion! The explanation he gave us for this ‘daylight robbery’ was onion rust. Not one local can tell us what the problem with rusty onions could be - the only explanation forthcoming being his lack of ingredients for his dinner (this being corroborated by his second request for Garlic; hmmm).

Adelaide - what a nice city! We possibly like it a little more because of its Bristol-esque feel. Beautiful architecture, green places for the people to relax, free things - all good. We liked the provision of free wireless internet at the library which was very useful to update the laptop software and settings. Oh, and the botanical gardens and the art gallery were excellent, as was the museum.

As it’s getting near Christmas, the time has come to make our way to relatives -Auntie Sheila and Uncle Lawrence. My Auntie and Uncle very kindly offered us comfort and refuge over the festive period, and how did we repay them - by drinking (all) their wine, beer and port!

In past years I’ve met my Aus relatives a couple of times, and only my auntie and uncle. So when Christmas arrived the meeting of 26 relatives was a very daunting task. I expect even more daunting to Gill as they weren’t technically her relatives. The day came and went, as it often does, with fun and merriment throughout the day. It was still a bit overwhelming for both Gill and myself to be faced with so many people after what has been a solitary lifestyle. We spent 6 days with the ‘relies’, and were provided with the comfort and sustenance which makes Christmas the occasion it is.

We left on the 28th and headed off to Melbourne, a city which seemed ideal for the celebrating of New Year.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 99; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb