Adelaide - wine country!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
February 22nd 2009
Published: March 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well the flight over from Singapore was pretty awful really.. cattle class but we had the same crew that came with us from London... we'd arrived pretty early here so we just left our bags at the hotel and ventured out into the city to find breakfast... we stumbled on the botanical gardens in the centre and had a lovely walk through...
After that we wandered around the shops and came upon a hat shop that sells the famous Aussie hat, Akubra hats. Nick bought one of course!! He now strutts around just like an Aussie and even putting on a very passable accent... must've been all those months in Perth 12 years ago..
Our second day in Adelaide, we shot off to Port Adelaide where they have the Railway Train museum. A pretty great selection of trains across the years and we had a chat with a couple of the volunteers guys there who gave us probably more information than just wandering around on our own... (see pictures).
After a 'wanky' train ride back to the city (quote from Nick as the train slowly wound it's way!! yes even slower than in England...), we passed by the Oval (we'd spotted it as we flew in) but it was the wrong time for entry. Just across a small park there is St.Peter's cathedral, beautiful and peaceful inside and I chatted to a local there and found out about their bellringing practice... tomorrow night!
So the next day we had a tour booked to the Barossa valley... home of Wolf Blass and Jacob's Creek vineyards... such a good tour we had tastings at Wolf Blass... I loved the Moscato and Cabernet Sauvignon and Nick loved the Reisling... and at Kaesler (much smaller winery) but still lovely wines. We also drove up the Torrens gorge road and stopped in the pretty German founded Hahndorf town. Later I went along to the bellringing practice at St.Peters (8, 41cwt, for the non ringers that's 8 bells, with the tenor weighing 41 hundred weight, about 2 tonnes, i think), a nice practice and friendly people... I met Gabrielle from Letchworth just up the road from us in Herts., been in Aus for many years.. playing her violin and learning to ring now too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Wolf Blass vineyardWolf Blass vineyard
Wolf Blass vineyard

in Barossa Valley


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb