Johnny is dead. Morry we love you!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
August 6th 2005
Published: August 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We woke up freezing: note to self: don't park near water! It was a gorgeous view out over the ocean though - certainly not something you get everyday! We could hear the waves during the night as well and the fact we were parked on a slope pointing towards it worried me considerably more than the boys.
Guess what - the engine didn't start again. Luckily we had phone reception so we phoned roadside assistance again. Despite trying it again after 30 mins, when the guy arrived after an hour, it started with no problems. Typical.
We coasted into the depot in Adelaide with no more problems. The delay did mean that we decided not to go on a paddle steamer on the Murray River an hour east of Adelaide though which is a shame - it's meant to be the Amazon of Australia. Despite having phoned ahead to check that we could get the van checked on Saturday if we didn't get there till then, which had been planned since Sydney, since most people do this trip anticlockwise in which case they get their van checked in Brisbane before going outback, there was no mechanic. Therefore, even though it was probably just a loose wire, we had to say goodbye to Jean Claude.
First we moved all our stuff - including our extensive soft toy collection - Kenny the Koala who lives above the rear view mirror, and Pete and Pat the little penguins who live on the dash board holding up the ipod - into a van called 'Aloha' with two Haiwaiian girls on the sides. It wasn't as colourful though and was about a foot shorter - not very good for sleeping! Luckily we noticed pretty ace newer van (and it's a Toyoto - the best made make ever according to dave) with a really ace Chinese dragon on one side and Chinese Koi on the other - appropriate considering the first half of our trip. On the back it says 'Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things'. Nice😊 We thought it might be booked but it wasn't and we thought it might be more expensive because it's got AC and power steering but they gave it us at the same price - presumably because we got broken down! Ace! So we moved all our stuff including our extensive soft toy collection into the new van. It's official name is Free Hugs but we've renamed it (Van) Morrisson 😊 Pete can even get it into 3rd gear 😊 and the wing mirror doesn't fall over in the wind 😊 so all is ace - it wouldn't have been the same without a little breakdown 😊
We did some laundry and had lunch round the corner. Dave's banned me from drinking diet coke because of another food scare. Damn. I love diet coke.
We wandered into Adelaide (apparently down doctor street) to Victoria Square and decided to do the lonely planet walking tour (led by tour guide dave again). Although there wasn't any one thing we wanted to see, it's an absolutely gorgeous place - definitely one of my favourites - but in a different way because it'd be a really nice place to settle down.
The streets and architecture were like a smaller, cleaner, less crowded London and nothing was run down or unoccupied. We went to the festival hall (South Australia IS the festival state) behind which is a huge park and river which is very Cambridge/Shrewsbury esque. To make up for the lack of paddle steamer we went on a pedal paddle boat meant for 2 but I sat in the middle doing the steering making it extra hard to paddle by zig zagging mua ha ha ha! We followed a pelican around for a bit and splashed dave in the fountain (a recurring theme of the holiday). Walked over to the Adelaide Oval cricket ground - apparently the prettiest in the world but got distracted by the huge yellow crested cockatoo which was chasing a couple of brightly coloured parrots across the gardens and hence being chased by us trying to take photos. Went through the botanic gardens and saw a kookaburra (only echidna and duck billed platypus to go now!) Finally we walked along a street of gorgeous museums, art galleries and the university. Absolutely love this place!
Back at the van we did our big bbq shop - lots of burgers and sausages in the cool box with bags of ice that you get from the petrol station, plenty of snacks and tons of water. Now in diesel so gave a wary looking local the unleaded petrol that we had in a can.
Parked in a suburban street in North Adelaide and had fantastic pizza and a cream sponge and apricot filled meringue. Drool! + Penfolds Rawsons Retreat which is from the region.
Very strange sleeping in the street again but at least this time we left before anyone got up.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb