Great Ocean Road and KI


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
October 9th 2004
Published: October 9th 2004
Edit Blog Post

GOR is truly spectacular - the yellow and red limestone has eroded into picturesque coves, bays and inlets, some with sheer cliffs and others with more gentle slopes. In places huge stacks rearing out of the ocean are the only remnants of former coast. Quite dramatic in evening loght and morning mist. Didn't realize how ancient this continent is - there has been much erosion over time. This whole coast is lashed by the very cold waters of the South Australian Bight - there's nothing between here and Antarctica. Inland from the coast are forested hilss separated by small valleys which are used for cattle and sheep raising - reminded us of the Yorkshire Dales and parts of Wales and Scotland. Still don't really feel we are in Australia. Probably would if we wewren't of British origin. West of Great ocean Road in South Australia more farming and very very flat.

Kangaroo Island great. Had close encounters with Australian Sea Lions and NZ Fur Seals. Hiked to see Platypus but no luck though met Cape Barren Geese and tiny Tammar Wallabies on way back.

Were forced to stop on a side road - 2 Roos mating in the middle of the road!! Then another couple at it five minutes further on. Must be Spring. Spent an evening learning about and watching Little Penguins come ashore to their babies and burrows. Only one foot high and so cuddly. Wanted to bring one home.

No time left. In Adelaide Airport waiting for flight to Alice Springs.


Nellie we got your email - thanks.

Thanks for comments. Miss you all
Love

Pat and Val

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb