Finally - We add Adelaide....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
April 17th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Glenelg SunsetGlenelg SunsetGlenelg Sunset

Famous, apparantly. Wonder why?!


See what I did with the title there? Poor really wasnt it?

A sense of relief has overcome me as I slide into the computer seat and finally get to writing up about Adelaide. We are actually nowhere near Adelaide - I am writing from Apollo Bay, our fourth stop since hitting the trail out of Adelaide towards The Great Ocean Road and eventually Melbourne. I seem to have been meaning to write it for days, infact I have tried once before, but without much success due to it being after an evening at the pub earlier on the road. Best to leave it, we thought...

So we stayed just around the corner from Rundle Mall, which is the main shopping area in the centre of Adelaide. The YHA was nice, with a good atmosphere and our room came with en-suite which made a nice change after several days without in Sydney. It's strange that when you have one of your luxuries taken away like that, how nice it is to get it back. It was about a five to ten minute walk into the centre of town I guess, which is nothing. Virtually on the doorstep.
'Anyone seen Nemo?''Anyone seen Nemo?''Anyone seen Nemo?'

'He's late for his dentist appointment'


On our first full day, we did our own thing - Clare firstly headed over to the Museum where she then found the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition. Then the Botanical Gardens and Wine Museum - I think it was a more than happy girl that returned, safe in the knowledge that her problem with finding anywhere to get a decent glass of wine was no more! I took a walk down to the Torrens River and over the Bridge to Adelaide Oval, which was probably from outside, the nicest setting for a cricket ground you could imagine - parkland all around. Kind of strange to see this in the centre of a city.

Over the next two days, we spent more time at the shops and walking around town. The third day and our last full day we took a tram from Victoria Square to the seaside town of Glenelg. It was a gorgeous day and the beach kept us not busy for most of the day until we got some food on the terrace of a Hotel watching the people drift by and kids playing in the fountains. I don't remember how we heard
Beach life Beach life Beach life

Clare in Glenelg
about Glenelg, but it was a really worthwhile day out and complete contrast to the cities we had just been to. Slower paced. Perfect!

I would probably return to Adelaide in the distant future, it has a good vibe and really friendly people which I think help it towards a unique atmosphere of laid-back city life. I found everyone wanted to talk to you (not like Beijing though!) and took the time of day to find out what you were doing - even if you had just popped in their shop to replenish the two packs of Timtams you accidentally ate without realising. Infact I could probably write a whole other entry about the relative merits of Timtams, but the credit is running low in the computer so you're all saved from that! (Mum, expect a UPS delivery full of them sometime in the next three weeks...)

As much as we are trying to keep an eye on things at home, it isnt that easy and we welcome comments from everyone, even just to say Hello. Even though its only been just over four weeks, I feel so out of touch with any news that might be going
More Glenelg SunsetMore Glenelg SunsetMore Glenelg Sunset

The ever changing colours were worth the wait
on with
anyone or anything. Like Cricket - have we won it yet??! We both hope as always that everyone is well and the weather is improving too. I can't wait to get to Melbourne and add more photos - we have some belters.

Love to all again

Max (and Clare)



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Adelaide ParkAdelaide Park
Adelaide Park

Cathedral I can't remember name of.
Goodbye to South AustraliaGoodbye to South Australia
Goodbye to South Australia

The walk over to the 'Welcome to Victoria' sign involved putting our watches forward 30 minutes!
On the RoadOn the Road
On the Road

Nice to meet you, Victoria.


18th April 2007

weather
hi guys, hope you're having a quality time, just to let you know dons are going up, norwich aren't, and the weather has cranked up into the 20s for the last couple of weeks! and we're still riding our luck with it!
18th April 2007

Home and Away
I was very excited about your visit to Summer Bay and have told all my friends - even the ones who have no idea what the surf club is or who Alf Stewart is!!!!!! Am looking forward to seeing THOSE photos!!!!!

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb