Meet the Family


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide » Port Adelaide
August 6th 2005
Published: August 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

The family IrelandThe family IrelandThe family Ireland

From back row, left to right: Daniel (Alana's boyfriend), Ethan (Jame's Son), James, Peta (James's daughter), Alana (Linda's daugher), ME, Simone (Linda's daughter), Linda, Tyler (James's daughter), Hopper (James's Son).
One of the big draws to Adelaide was that I have family there, on my Dad's side. I think Fiona spoke about meeting Ron and Sue Ireland in the leaving Perth post, Ron is my Dad's cousin, my Gran's maiden name was Ireland. Well Ron and his family (my Gran's brother Peter, his wife Jeanie, and their 5 kids) moved to Adelaide in 1959, the rest of the family still live there (Ron married a lass fae Perth and moved there) although sadly Peter and Jeanie have passed on, and they had another son, James, in Australia, so there's 6 kids, 5 in Adelaide and it was our aim to meet them all.

We got in touch with the eldest child, Helen and she put us up for the week, we had an amazing time and have to say it brought a tear to the eye leaving them to hit the road again. There a lovely family and although they left Scotland 45 years ago they're still fanaticaly passionate about their Scottish routes (Helen's husband is from Dalkieth and moved to Adelaide in 1960, aged 11) and we shared some great stories.

We also met the rest of
The family Ireland, part deuxThe family Ireland, part deuxThe family Ireland, part deux

From left to right, Peter (Julie's husband), Julie [and Baby Amelia] (John's daughter), Meridith (John's wife), John, ME, Helen, Sandy.
the sibblings, Helen being the eldest, John, Ronnie (in Perth), Doris, Linda and James (born in Oz) and all their offspring. It was a great occasion, they all reverted back to their Scottish accents as the night, and the drink, went on, even James who's never set foot in Scotland has an accent he picked up from his family!!

It was bizarre to meet all these 'family' members who I didn't know existed 9 months ago but they took us into their homes and we really did feel like part of the family, it was amazing to see the similarities between them and some of my relatives on my Dad's side in Dundee.

We had a great time in Adelaide, made more so by Helen, Sandy and the rest of the Ireland family, I hope you all get the chance to visit us in Scotland one day, I can prommise you a warm Dundee welcome if you do.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Leaving home, again....Leaving home, again....
Leaving home, again....

Sandy, Andrew and Helen, and big Bertha, the two tonne camper van.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb