Port Adelaide walk


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide » Port Adelaide
July 24th 2005
Published: July 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Port Adelaide wharfPort Adelaide wharfPort Adelaide wharf

This image was taken from on the cruise boat. You can see the Lighthouse and the old buildings.
Today we went to Port Adelaide for our walk.

Our route

Peter had to go to work so it was just Dan and I heading out from home. As we crossed the Jervois bridge we were able to see the remnants of an old jetty that had been reduced to poles standing in the water.

At the end of the Jervois bridge we saw a man in a diving suit preparing to dive near the Port Adelaide docks. This photo shows him with the Jervois bridge in the background, and another shows him entering the water near the old Troubridge loading dock.

Port Adelaide is due for major redevelopment soon and a new Information Centre was built over the water near the old flour mill. Its mostly steel and glass. We went down one of the landings and were able to see mussels growing on the side of the dock.

We passed the Port Adelaide TAFE and crossed the Birkenhead bridge where we saw several dolphins playing. We walked past the Fishermen's wharf market towards the red lighthouse which is now used as the symbol of Port Adelaide. The One and All sailing ship was also docked nearby.

We took one of the $2.50 90 minute Sunday cruises up and down Port River. There were plenty of dolphins following the boat. We also saw the submarine building facility and the place where they will be building the new bridges over the river.

We stopped by the market to eat our lunch and heard a siren indicating that the Birkenhead bridge was about to open. After a quick trip through the market where Dan found some Pokémon books we headed back home. Our return route took us through the Port Adelaide boat graveyard and a small mangrove walkway where we could see the exposed roots of the mangrove trees.

When we were almost home we took one last photo of John Hart's old mansion, Glanville Hall. So the moral of this blog entry is you don't have to travel a long way to have a good walk and have some adventure!

Information about Port Adelaide



You might also like to check out
another blog entry of ours about meeting the Port Adelaide Dolphins
in September 2006 in a kayak trip.






Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Old jettyOld jetty
Old jetty

This is taken from the Jervois bridge, looking towards the ships graveyard and mangrove walk.
DiverDiver
Diver

We met this diver in a rubber suit on the dock. He said he had done over 8000 dives all around the world, but liked diving at Pt Adelaide as you never knew what you would find! In the background you can see the Jervois bridge.
DiverDiver
Diver

The diver liked going in under the old Troubridge loading bay as he has found a few cars there (under the water).
Glanville HallGlanville Hall
Glanville Hall

This is John Hart's old residence, Glanville Hall. Hart was a sea captain and former premier of South Australia. From the tower you can see St Vincent's Gulf.


26th July 2005

Hey Dan....looks like a superhero in the rubber suit!! What would you call him?? Rubberman??
12th April 2006

Diver in rubber suit.
I am in fact the diver in the rubber suit.The suit makes a great drysuit,provides sufficient cold protection and also effective protection against pollution problems of the Port River environment.Diving at Port Adelaide always yields a few underwater surprises.Examples include the $22,000 camera lens,the field of 7 stolen vehicles value $230,000 and gps equipment!After completing more than 8000 dives worlwide, diving at Port Adelaide always amazes me!
20th July 2006

Port Adelaide Diving
Rob also dives on a very regular basis at Port Adelaide.Diving with the dolphins is an absolute joy and privilege at Port Adelaide.The Port River unfortunately suffers some pollution problems and is really only dived when the water is freezing cold during winter months.Visibility at that time of year is quite good and the river always reveals some of her secrets!We conduct fishing line cleanups on an ongoing basis.This discarded line is a deadly enemy to our fabulous dolphin mates.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb