Australia Day 11


Advertisement
Published: November 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Airing It OutAiring It OutAiring It Out

Relaxing in Australia Cleland Wildlife Park
We started with a travel "mis"adventure, with GPS and road signs sending us down the wrong side of Cleland Conservation Park in our attempt to meet with Mike's acquaintance, Martin, at the Park's coffee shop. The drive was on a narrow, winding road that was pretty but a little scary. We DID arrive at a coffee shop at the appointed time, just the wrong one. So, 45 minutes later we found the right one, with Martin still patiently waiting for us. We had a nice visit before he left for work and we purchased entrance to the Wildlife Park on the site. This park is one of many similar ones in Australia where people can interact with some of the animals found here. Although it is a common site here, we couldn't help feeling excited and amazed to be among so many kangaroos, wallabies, and emus. We really enjoyed feeding them, especially when the roos or wallabies would hold onto our hand while they ate out of it. They would also let you pet them (as long as you were feeding them at least). And we got to pet a koala. The park also had wombats, tazmanian devils, dingoes and all sorts of beautiful birds.

Martin and his wife, Val, met is in Adelaide for dinner at a lovely restaurant they had selected. We enjoyed a great meal while we got to know them a little better. Martin is a chemistry professor at Flinders University who is trying to do outreach to lower grades, and Val is a middle school math teacher. They're both saints.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Mike feeding EmuMike feeding Emu
Mike feeding Emu

These guys can raise their heads up to your eye level! Then they try to steal your bag of food.


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb