Backtrack Backroads


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 22nd 2017
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Bloody hell it's cold! Camping in winter is not such a good idea. Travelling up the coast from Grafton was cool at night-time until we got a fair way north, but inland is freezing at night. Finch Hatton is only 70km inland but the difference it made was unbelievable! And (of course) it is colder the further south we go. We are heading back towards the Gold Coast, but on inland roads, to attend Andrew's University Graduation on Monday.

Travelling south from Finch Hatton we stayed at an overnight rest area at Duaringa (Mackenzie Park) and then another at Gayndah (Zonhoven Park). Rest areas are great for free-camping but can be very noisy, and we had two noisy sites in a row. Mackenzie Park was a large rest area with excellent facilities and a tourist information centre. Zonhoven Park was just a roadside rest area with picnic tables and toilet facilities. It was right near the road, but it was the local dogs barking all night, and roosters crowing from 2:30am that kept me awake more than the traffic noises...

Tonight we are at a campground at Wivenhoe Dam (after a detour to Sommerset Dam) - much nicer and quieter.

The theme of this trip is Hakuna Matata (no worries) and I'm learning to stop stressing the small things. We have had some small issues, but have managed to fix them as they arise. The latest one is the fridge not getting enough power to 'kick-in' even when the battery shows plenty of power. We finally tracked down the issue (after thinking it was a bad battery) to the shoddy, thin wiring and joiners in the camper. We picked up some wiring and connections and Kevin re-wired the fridge plug directly to the battery - no more issues.

I'm looking forward to catching up with family over the next couple of days and we will be heading out (towards Karumba) on Tuesday morning....


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



24th July 2017
DSC_0174

Useful gifts...
Bloody hell it's cold! I am seeing a trip to BCF in your future :) .

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb