Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
April 13th 2005
Published: June 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Jo's always bloody cold!!!Jo's always bloody cold!!!Jo's always bloody cold!!!

Jo Getting ready to be chucked off a perfectly good cliff.
After the farm, we headed off back down to Cairns to take in the sights and sounds of Cape Tribulation which is farther north from Cairns, it's a beautiful area full of pristine tropical rainforest, we had a few days down there before heading off. On the way back we decided to do a spot if hang gliding, ( Jo's idea, and what a great one!!! ), weather conditions were just about perfect, the views were amazing and the experience was one not to be forgotten for a while, needless to say we loved it!
After spending all that money we thought another job might be a good idea so we phoned Pat up and asked about returning to the farm for a few weeks more, unfortunately he was full up but his best friend just happened to own an Avocado farm so we shot straght back up into the Atherton Tablelands to Tomoulin (near Ravenshoe) where we spent a week or so picking and packing Avocadoes. Mum, remember my hatred of avocadoes? well, that soon changed when we could eat as many as we wanted cause they were free!!! I now love them..........Still bloody HATE Garlic though!!!! Anyway, rain stopped play there cause the Avo's can't be picked if it's raining so we moved on, first stop was a real Rodeo at Mount Garnet, we saw loads of proper Aussie cowboys ( And Girls ) doing things like Bull Riding, wrestling steers,etc. etc. The weekend was made even better by camping next to an amazingly friendly, funny couple called Mick and Lesley, staying true to Aussie form by not eating anything all weekend cause it cuts down on drinking time!!!
We then visited Pat & Suzanne at Millaa Millaa for a couple of days, again we had a brilliant time and were both sad to leave......Pat, have you found that yellow sheep yet mate!!!
After taking in a few more waterfalls and valleys we started moving down the coast, looking for more work, we didn't find any so we stopped off for a few days in in a lovely town called Bowen, it's near the Whitsunday Islands and it was the first place in Oz where we we could swim in the sea without worrying about the crocs and stingers, we took full advantage and spent two days alternating between snorkelling on the reef and sunbathing on the " alternate
Is it a bird? Is it a plane??Is it a bird? Is it a plane??Is it a bird? Is it a plane??

NO, it's SUPER JO !!
clothing " ( nudie beach to normal folk!!!!! ) beach. It was great & it gave our mates from the UK, Adam & Steph, chance to catch up to us ( they are also travelling around Oz ). It was so weird being on the other side of the world & meeting up with your mates, we had an absolutely brilliant couple of days with Ads & Steph ( Happy birthday (13th May) to Steph....and Martin! by the way, wish you could have been there too Mate! ), we took in a really impressive waterfall with a great swimming creek then went for a fly on the beach with Adam's Blade ( Traction Kite, shame we didn't have a buggy, the beach was perfect for it. )
After saying goodbye to Ads & Steph we moved on to Airlie beach, next stop...............WHITSUNDAY ISLANDS!



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Cape Tribulation.Cape Tribulation.
Cape Tribulation.

Trees, trees & more trees.
AAAAH, POOR BIRDIE !!!AAAAH, POOR BIRDIE !!!
AAAAH, POOR BIRDIE !!!

Cassowary road awareness Aussie style!!
OO-ERRR MISSUS!!!!OO-ERRR MISSUS!!!!
OO-ERRR MISSUS!!!!

Honestly....I turn my back for a second & jo just can't resist sitting on Yorkey's Knob!!!!
Me inside the Cathedral Fig treeMe inside the Cathedral Fig tree
Me inside the Cathedral Fig tree

Atherton Tablelands area, these fig trees start off as a seed in the treetops and grow down, they eventually kill the host tree by taking their nutrients and toppling them with their weight.
Curtain Fig TreeCurtain Fig Tree
Curtain Fig Tree

Another very famous tourist attraction around the Atherton Tablelands area.
Another one for Sara!Another one for Sara!
Another one for Sara!

Jo "I hate Dogs" Hall made me stop the van so she could say goodbye for the third time to Soxy!!!
The BouldersThe Boulders
The Boulders

A gorgeous area near Babinda.
The BouldersThe Boulders
The Boulders

LOOK AT THE COLOUR OF THAT WATER!!!
How's this for a free campsite?How's this for a free campsite?
How's this for a free campsite?

There are quite a few rest stops where you can overnight for free, this was one with an amazing view!
Wallaman FallsWallaman Falls
Wallaman Falls

Australia's highest waterfall at 265M. the gorge was really impressive too!


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 86; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb