Cobbold Gorge - Karumba in the Gulf


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 17th 2014
Published: July 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Cobbold Gorge, approximately 80ks inland from Georgetown, is a unique gorge tucked away within the rugged sandstone formations of North Queensland. The gorge is on a family-owned cattle property called Howlong Station, which is a sub-property of the original family property, Robin Hood (a total of 1284 square kilometers.) Simon and Gaye Terry saw the potential for a successful tourism venture and thus began the story of the Cobbold Gorge Tours in 1995: not long ago in reality. We are very pleased we decided not to take the van 45ks on the rough, rocky and corrugated road into the Gorge, rather, being happy to stay in the tiny township of Forsyth at a caravan park mostly filled from May to September with gold fossickers. The visit to and tour of the gorge was well worth taking. It's a very narrow gorge, of about six kilometres in length, with large and small fresh water crocs. With only the last 500 metres accessible by electric motored flat bottom boat, and in places, closing in to a mere two metres wide, it is a spectacular and beautiful discovery. They also have a large information/gorge souvenir shop, a large infinity swimming pool with outback Queensland's first swim-up bar, poolside deck areas, wonderful bistro with beautiful coffee and great meals, which not only service those who choose to stay in their on-site cabins, but also the day trippers and campers.

Karumba, tip of the Gulf of Carpentaria. This is the true-blue fishermen's haven! They come from the south every year for 3-4 months for this, until they can no longer make the trip! Old blokes everywhere telling tall yarns over a cuppa in the morning, and beers with their wives joining in for the sundowners chat and laughter each evening, literally until just after sunset. Sunset over the ocean is spectacular as it slowly disappears from the sky in the west. At first light, the tinnies on their fold-up trailers, roll out one after the other over to the beach for their launch as these crusty blokes venture out for more fishing, only to repeat the process again later in the day. We have eaten fresh barramundi and king salmon every day and not once been disappointed! Sadly, it's not prawn season so Les will have to wait until be get to Darwin or Broom!

So many towns boast of their "big" something. Normanton has something truly big to boast about; Krys, the 8.63 metre salt water croc, named after the lady who killed him in the 1950s, and subsequently entered in the Guinness World Records as the world's largest ever croc. Their Big Croc, proudly displayed in the middle of town, is made to scale. Impressive!

Gulflander Tour - Normanton to Croydon. Les was hopjng to experience this rail journey while we were up here, but as it only runs this route a couple of times a week and requires an overnight stay at Croydon before the return leg to Normanton, we have booked a shorter version, the Normanton to Critters Camp trip. We are looking forward to this before we set off for more inland adventures; Burke and Wills Roadhouse, Gregory Downs, Lawn Hill National Park, Adels Grove and on to Mt Isa, leaving the remainder of the Savannah Way to those who don't have caravans and can travel the remaining hundreds of kilometres of corrugated road.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb