Brisbane to Darwin by Bike - Part 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
August 1st 2013
Published: August 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 - BrisbaneDay 1 - BrisbaneDay 1 - Brisbane

Saying goodbye to my concerned grandparents.
24th July 2013 - Day 1
Distance Traveled today : 69.6km
Total: 69.6km

I was originally going to set off a week earlier, but problems with the bike and then packing issues delayed me. This wasn't all bad as it gave me more time to do some more research into what to see through Asia and Europe plus 101 other things.

Set off at 10am from my Grandparent's home. They where quite upset and worried and where hoping I would change my mind and fly to Darwin. Mt Gravatt is not a good place to start from with many hills. Went through St Lucia and then onto Moggill road, this presented more hills and towards the ferry I already started getting cramps... perhaps the training regime of a ride to Redcliffe and back wasn't enough (about 60km each way). Reached Ipswich at around 3.30pm and was thinking of staying the night there, but the Caravan park wasn't in the direction I wanted to go so I continued on towards Laidley. Ipswich was very busy with Traffic so I used the footpath a lot. Once out of Ipswich the road has a wide lane on the inside which made it safer as there was more traffic here then I expected. Cars where very polite along here giving me a lot of room. The small towns along the way didn't seem like they had any sort of accommodation so I was resigned to camping along the side of the road. There didn't even seem any good spots for that, as there was either houses or fenced off farmland. To make things worse my chain fell off and got jammed in between the crank, I managed to get it out - must get some hand wipes! Deciding to make one last dash for Rosewood, the sun had already set and I planned not to ride after dusk. There I was able to get a room at the Rosewood Hotel / pub for only $35 so a great end to the day, my own bad and a hot shower. And it's supposed to be haunted, but I didn't see any ghosts.

-----

25th July 2013 - Day 2
Distance Traveled today : 79km
Total : 149km

Much earlier start then yesterday - 7.15am. The back roads I took where very quiet not many cars, unfortunately they had many hills. There
Day 1 - Off roadDay 1 - Off roadDay 1 - Off road

The only 4km of unpaved road on my trip.
was even a 4 km section of unsealed road, got covered in dust by trucks going past, apart from that was very scenic. Once again slow going for most of the day. The final climb up to Toowoomba was very steep. Had to walk bike up for around 5km, was lucky most of the traffic was in the other direction as there was no room to pass and no room to get off the road in most places. One lady stopped asking if I would like a lift, really nice of her to do that. Would have been hard to fit the bike in and would have been cheating, plus it was towards the top so I declined. No cramps today, got sun burnt on right leg and head through the gaps in my helmet. Staying in Caravan park in Toowoomba and using tent for first time for a while as no cabins left ($27 - Toowoomba Motor Village). Didn't feel like looking for anything else. McDonalds for dinner.

-----

26th July 2013 - Day 3
Distance Traveled today : 89km
Total : 238km

Woke up at 2am thinking it was dawn and wanted to start getting
Day 7 - Attack of the cow swarmDay 7 - Attack of the cow swarmDay 7 - Attack of the cow swarm

I had to wait for the cows to pass.
ready... I did end up going to the loo, which is hard work out of my tent because it is so small and touching the walls makes whatever touches wet. Late start after that as didn't set off until 9am, packing everything up is a lot more work when camping. One of the caravaners warned me about how narrow the road would be, well it was all good today at least. Most of the way had an extra double lane of a bike track because of road works which was sealed off with witches hats for most of the way. Had lunch at a van in the middle of nowhere just out of Oakley, really nice couple. From there it was onto Dalby. Stopped a couple of times for road works, the second time the guy thought I was going to run his stop sign and got upset that I went past the stop point... but after a quick apology and me saying that I wasn't going to go past he was all good. The extra lanes are only new he told me... and I was last past the stop sign so had a long break from cars coming on
Day 6 - Open RoadDay 6 - Open RoadDay 6 - Open Road

Nice and flat towards Mitchell
both sets of road works. The last 40km up to Dalby was hard work as no place with shade to rest, I did come across a chair in the middle of nowhere so ended up having a break there (but still no shade). Got to Dalby at around 3pm so early finish as well. Lots of mining utes in town. Spoiled myself to a nice room at the caravan park (Dalby Tourist Park) for $97, bathroom and heaps of room... I don't want to camp twice in a row just yet! Subway for dinner and got a hat as am starting to get burnt through the holes in my helmet. Hands a bit numb today.

-----

27th July 2013 - Day 4
Distance Traveled today : 127km
Total : 365km

Fairly early start at 8am, there was still fog around which made it cooler. Road was quite flat all the way up to Chinchilla. Some of the small towns like Warra along the way are almost ghost town with no stores left open. Stopped for lunch in Brigalow had a burger with chips. First cattle grid just outside town. From there it was onto Chinchilla, had a quick look at the petrified wood there. I didn't know its volcanic in origin and from the time of the dinosaurs. Then it was onto Miles, the road became hilly here, with trees on the side as well as a lot of rubbish. Saw a few emus making a mad dash to escape. Quite a few big trucks going past hauling mining machinery. Got to Miles at around 4:30pm, and stopped at the first caravan park. Seems to have been slapped together quickly for the mining rush. Cabins are $150! So ended up camping, for $20. The caravan park doesn't seem to get looked after much, not much light in showers, drains blocked and generally no lighting of any sort... Had a wrap for dinner, there seem to be people brought in from overseas at the shops perhaps backpackers. There was no dew in the morning though which is a big bonus in packing the tent away. Fingers still numb.

-----

28th July 2013 - Day 5
Distance Traveled today : 103km
Total : 468km

Spoke to a caravanner who also does bike ridding about what mechanical problems I've had (not many), this would later jinx me!
Day 9 - AugathellaDay 9 - AugathellaDay 9 - Augathella

Rest day in Augathella
Stopped at the IGA to buy more water and mandarins before setting off at around 8:30am. More hills than the previous two days but nowhere as bad as the first two! Was hoping to have lunch at Jackson but unfortunately there are no shops left there, as well as the towns before hand - everything has been closed down. Finally was able to buy some food at Yuleba, had a couple of slices of pizza at a truck stop. Continued on hoping to get to Roma but problem with back tire having a leak. Was able to pump the tire every 5km or so to keep going, so decided to stop in next town which happened to be Wallumbilla. Spoke to the lady at the historic shed and she said I could camp under the shed, so I did, firstly replacing the back tube and then eating some soup from one of the caravan people also staying there. Was delicious and very nice of them to offer it to me. Haven't been able to get phone reception the last couple of days. Fingers still numb, bum too but not as bad!

-----

29th July 2013 - Day 6
Distance Traveled today : 131km
Total : 599km

A lot of rosters in Wallumbilla so early wake up, was on the road at around 7:30am. Got to Roma by around 10am, McDonalds for early lunch (probably last time for a while), quick shopping at the IGA for water etc and then off again. A lot of road works out of Roma, at one I was offered a lift and then given an escort car as only a single lane was open! Fairly hilly terrain, but with more trees and scrub. Also more road kill along here, I still haven't seen a live roo on this trip. Chain fell off again in the afternoon - I really must adjust the gear changes. Most of the last 20km to Mitchell was great fun as it was down hill so easy going. Staying at Hotel Mitchell for $50 - nice to have a room. Pizza from the hotel for dinner, fingers still numb!

-----

30th July 2013 - Day 7
Distance Traveled today : 92km
Total : 691km

Had trouble falling asleep as English backpackers seemed to chat until 1am just outside my room. Then someone bumped my window at 7am waking me up. After buying water at the news agent I was off expecting an easy day with only 90km to do. However it turned out differently 75% of the day turned out to be a climb. The land scape seems a lot more natural here with scrub surrounding the road. Finally I got to see many live kangaroos. There where more road works and at one the guy in the ute in front of me got out asking me where I was going... after I told him all he could say is "F*#kin Darwin!?". Then he came back out again and gave me some cake. Later in the day I came across some cattle being marched up the road. I had to get right off the road and wait. There seemed to be hundreds of cows going past. Cars had to stop and wait, and guys on bikes / horses guided the cattle past. The last 20km to Morven was a nice down hill. Had my first rain of the trip but only lasted for about 1 minute. Decided to camp at the sports ground which has showers and benches with the only downside being the hard ground. There are also loud geese here but its a great spot by the river. Fingers still numb and hard to find a good way to sit.

-----

31st July 2013 - Day 8
Distance Traveled today : 93km
Total : 784km

Geese where well behaved. Fairly late start as was talking to a friendly couple from Tassie and played with their dog. Lots of birds by the river in the morning was a great spot to camp. Was on the road by around 9am. Today's stretch was a lot flatter then yesterday although some hills where present. More natural vegetation ie trees with only some sections cleared, and more kangaroos spotted today. No towns to stop for lunch between Morven and Augathella - this is now going to be the case for most of the remainder of the trip. I did take a couple of mandarins for lunch. Got to Augathella by around 3pm and booked myself at the Augathella on the Highway caravan park in a donga for $60 per night, it even has Wifi! So tomorrow is going to be my day off.

-----

1st August 2013 - Day 9
Distance Traveled today : 0km
Total : 784km

Spent today catching up on internet, laundry and adjusting gears on bike. Also did a quick walk around Augathella, quite a tidy town with only about 400 people living there. Houses are quite spread out, there was a kangaroo in one park and a helicopter sitting in the middle of another park (I thought it was a monument when I first saw it - but on further inspection someone just landed it and left it there in the middle of the park). Some of the buildings have colourful murals painted on them.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb