THIS CAMPSITE GIVES ME THE CREEPS!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
January 7th 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we covered as many miles as we could. We struggled finding somewhere to stay. When we arrived at the first place it was pouring with rain. The place looked a little run down and in need of a lick of paint. Andy and Kieran ran in to enquire, but soon ran back ouy again. “That place was weird” Kieran said. We asked him what he meant. Andy then piped up “the office reminded me of a scene from a horror film and the manager looked like someone from The League if Gentlemen. I’m pretty sure that allot of people book in, but they never get to book out, I bet if you looked there are previous tenants for sale in the freezer” We decided that it was probably for the best that we carried on.

When we arrived at the next site we found nothing but a collection of puddles with the odd rusty caravan perched on higher ground. We were hoping it would be third time lucky as we pulled up to the dry looking campsite number three. Kieran went into the office to see if they had space and the conversation went like this. “Excuse me, do you have a pitch with electricity available for tonight?” The woman looks at us out of the window and replies “Do you have a tent?” Kieran tells her we do. “Then we are full” she quickly answers. Well that told us!

Unfortunately that left us with two options, neither of which we were that keen on. Option one was to drive another 30 kilometres to the next site and be forced to stay even if was terrible because it would be getting dark when we arrive. Or option two was to go back to the very first site with the man who looked like he might chop us up. Maybe it was because we tired and hungry or maybe because we are all mad but we went with option two. This time me and Gemma decided to check the place out for ourselves. We all approached the office and slowly stepped through the creaky door. The shop in the office was very strange. It was very dark and there were dusty old shelves which apart from a few unconnected objects were mostly empty. The items that were available to buy included a bikini, a 1970’s romance novel, a cheap wooden picture frame to which someone had glued some shells - most of them now broken - and a tin of sauerkraut which looked like it was well past its sell-by date. There was a strange area in the corner with an old wingback chair, a doll and a baby mobile - maybe this was their idea of a crèche service - I’m not sure I would be keen. Then the manager appeared behind the counter. Granted he was a little odd and his remaining tooth had seen better days but I think that Andy and Kieran had over reacted a little earlier. The site turned out to be quite nice with one of the cleanest poolS we have ever seen. The toilets had not been decorated since the 1950’s and the piped music was from the same era but they were very clean and a bit like stepping into a time capsule.

We did hear a few screams in the night but we had no desire to find out what they were. We were more than happy to have survived the night so we packed up and left while we were still in one piece. (I still think we were lucky not to have our organs harvested in the night- Andrew)

We chose Yeppoon as the closest we could get to the floods while still being at a safe distance. We made a couple of stops on the way, one being at the very pretty Clairview Beach where we stopped for photos. We were the only people on the beach. Our next stop was at a roadside fruit stall where we bought the biggest watermelon I had ever seen. It was so big that she had her own seat in the front and we named her Melonie.

We found a campsite that was close to town so we would have something to see if we were stuck for a few days. Andy and Kieran went to cook dinner while Gemma and I were left with the task of chopping up Melony. Maybe we shouldn’t’t have named her because it made the whole thing much more difficult. When Andy returned with the dinner he told me that he thought he had been bitten by something while he was cooking. It didn’t’t look like a mosquito bite, but he wasn’t foaming at the mouth, so we decided to keep an eye on it and get it checked out of it got any worse. Andy’s track record with holiday injuries not being that good I had a feeling that we would be getting it looked at soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0988s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb