Queensland Day 6


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
December 15th 2009
Published: January 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This morning we once again woke up at 4am to catch our flight to Brisbane. Brisbane is the capital city of the state of Queensland, about 1 hour south of Gold Coast (where most tourists go).

By the suggestion of Ka (a local travel agent we found on a forum), we booked the 9am ferry ride to visit the Moreton Island. This Island is about 75 minutes from Brisbane, owned by Tangalooma Resort. This resort is popular for the locals and visitors. All the hotel rooms are booked up, so we were only doing a day trip here.

The weather was not the best, a little cloudy, but thankfully it wasn’t pouring rain. We arrived at the Island before noon and had a brief orientation tour with one of the guides there. We were briefed about the activities, food and other facilities on the Island and we were sent off to lunch.

The buffet lunch was included in the $165 package. Food was just so-so. Anyway, we’ve been longing to kayak since our trip in Tasmania, so after a quick dinner, we went to hire two kayaks and off we went, before the sky got any darker. I haven’t been on a kayak for YEARS, actually, as far as I remember, I haven’t been kayaking on my own since I’ve been with Carlos? This kayak looked very flimsy, any waves caused by the smallest motor boats can flip our kayaks.

We originally planned to kayak the wrecked ships and have a dip in the ocean, BUT, we didn’t make it there, hahaha… The waves and wind kept coming against us. I got very tired.

Our package also included a safari tour in the desert, which is located in the centre of the Island. We had a lot of fun sandboarding. This time, we went head first, it felt SO much faster (but can’t scream; otherwise will have a mouth full of sand!). The sand here is full of electro magnet (or something similar), which could break electronics. So we had to wrap our camera in the waterproof pouch before taking it out to the desert.

The sky cleared up before dinner time, we walked along the sandy beach and joined the last activity for the day - Dolphin feeding!! At around 6, the wild dolphins started to come into the bay. The dolphins were naturally good at performing, they began to jump and sing while waiting for dinner. The dolphin feeding time is also an opportunity for the staff there to inspect the health of the dolphins. Each of them has a name! Coming THIS close to dolphins was quite interesting.

We boarded the ferry back to Brisbane city after we fed the dolphins. By the time we got back in town, it was already 11pm. What a long day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Got tired after awhileGot tired after awhile
Got tired after awhile

Carlos pulling me


Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb