Waltzing Matilda


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
August 16th 2009
Published: August 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mt. IsaMt. IsaMt. Isa

Korny and sons....Keep your eye out for a new mining company




One minute we are lazing around hot springs…the next we are watching young children being thrown off sheep at the local Winton Rodeo! We have hit outback Queensland in a major way and the contrast in colours, people and activities is quite remarkable. We stopped at Mt. Isa and Max, Sam and Adam went on a tour of a working mine, underground. They descended in a lift and then went on an enclosed caged train to the different mining sites. The various mining techniques were explained and Max operated a hydraulic drill, while Sam declined due to the significant noise that emanated from the machine. I think three hours underground may have dampened any enthusiasm our boys may have had for mining (Oh Well)…but they sure looked cute in their suits. We were quite surprised by the number of tourists in the town (we got the last caravan spot) but couldn’t quite see what the attraction was. The town has a huge mine smelter as its backdrop and lots of Tonka trucks, which kept Jojo impressed at least.

Winton is a much smaller town (population 900) but it has its own country town charm. This is
WintonWintonWinton

Max and Sam got into character for a bit of Bush Poetry....
Waltzing Matilda country, the place where Banjo Patterson is said to have composed this iconic song and Winton has an entire museum dedicated to it. Did you know that “Waltzing Matilda” actually means “to travel from place to place in search of work with all one’s belongings on one’s back wrapped in a blanket or cloth?” And here I am thinking for 38 years that the swagman had a love called Matilda that he dreamt of pursuing and enjoying evenings filled with romance and dance… well not at Banjo’s billabong it seems. Bush poetry is the “signature dish” of this small town and we were lucky enough to watch Susie and Melanie (Bush Poetry award winners) perform at the Waltzing Matilda Caravan Park where we are staying. They were such talented performers and Max and Sam starred in one of their rhyming renditions. Tonight Max was offered to watch a DVD at some friends in the caravan park but he replied: “Sorry but there’s bush poetry on tonight and I don’t want to miss it”.

The rodeo was a small country gathering where broncos bucked, bulls charged and ropes swung to the beat of country tunes. It was sweltering
Winton RodeoWinton RodeoWinton Rodeo

Hang on little fella...
outside, but everyone was dressed in denim jeans, long sleeved collared checked shirts and BIG hats (except for us of course, who were quite conspicuous in our boardies, t-shirts and thongs). We watched some serious cowboys hit the dirt; tie up some steers and ride some large bulls. It was a family day with events for all ages and experience levels. Max has just read Black Beauty and he felt uncomfortable when watching horses being whipped into obedience. While it was great to be part of such an authentic slice of country life, there is no doubt that there were aspects of some events that were cruel and niggled at my middle class, city girl conscience. Perhaps the hierarchy in the animal world is more transparent in the outback, while we manage to sanitize or distance ourselves from any relationship with these outback beasts except for when they are on our plate, served with the best pinot noir. Or maybe I am just trying to justify my presence at an event that exploits animals? Whatever the case, seeing all the people of all different shapes and sizes come together to compete and celebrate with their community, was a fantastic experience.
Winton RodeoWinton RodeoWinton Rodeo

Wild bucking action...


With 900kms until we hit the coast, hopefully there will be more outback tales to come….



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Queensland/NT borderQueensland/NT border
Queensland/NT border

Queensland here we come...
WintonWinton
Winton

Nothing like a bit of country music....
WintonWinton
Winton

Couple of interesting people hanging around Winton???
WintonWinton
Winton

Had a bit of a laugh in town
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

Some serious lasso action
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

Young Cowboys checking out the competition
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

Cowgirl lasso action
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

Barrel racing
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

Hats HAts Hats...Mine is bigger then yours...
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

KIds got into the action as well...
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

When they hit they hit hard....
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

But they always bounce back up....
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

Hang on...
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

The comp went right down to under 6. This was called Mutton Madness
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

Next competitors please...
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

Cute hat
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

I think my pants are going to fall down...
Winton RodeoWinton Rodeo
Winton Rodeo

Cowboy action
Jabiru Kakadu National ParkJabiru Kakadu National Park
Jabiru Kakadu National Park

We gave Peter a hard time last blog so we just wanted to show you he really did contribute....


16th August 2009

I ain't been there!
Ok guyz now I'm fully tuned in. Am facinated coz now yr in country I ain't been 2. Thank u so much for sharing with me. xp
24th August 2009

Hi Kornies, loving the blog, especially the middle-class city-girl guilt! x Kate Serisier
15th October 2009

great photos!!!
I can't keep us with the pace of you guys....love the photos. Love Denise

Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.2699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb