On to Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
May 24th 2005
Published: July 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After a quick scoot down the coast we arrived in Rainbow Beach which was our base for the Fraser Island trip. One of the first things we did was a dolphin kayak trip, this was simply stunning, we saw huge pods of dolphins, some swam right underneath the kayaks, though i think the highlight for me were the massive manta rays that made an appearance, they swim really close once they realise you're not a threat to them, they swim so gracefully it's as if they fly through the water, the ones we spotted were about 4 metres in width, though they grow up to 9 metres!!
Next day we left for Fraser, the 4 wheel drive was a Land Cruiser, 3.7 diesel and was pretty impressive, there was 11 in our group & they were a really good bunch, we had an awesome time exploring the island which is stunningly beautiful, it's a real experience to drive on the sand highway, we had a few hairy moments with younger group members at the wheel but it was generally great!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The famous shipwreck on Fraser.The famous shipwreck on Fraser.
The famous shipwreck on Fraser.

Yeah, that's right, the one I can't remember the name of!!
Lake Mc KenzieLake Mc Kenzie
Lake Mc Kenzie

The crystal clear waters were amazing to swim and snorkel in, the sand again is used to polish Jewellery, simply stunning place.
Lake WabbyLake Wabby
Lake Wabby

The deepest lake on Fraser, it's slowly being encroached by a sand blow(sand dune).
Women Drivers!!Women Drivers!!
Women Drivers!!

ONLY JOKING!!!
a REAL Tornado!!!a REAL Tornado!!!
a REAL Tornado!!!

Hollywood eat your heart out, look at this little puppy! We saw two of them touch down on to the ocean!
The end.The end.
The end.

On our way back to drop the car off, what a great experience!


Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb