just a few observations


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 30th 2021
Published: August 5th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Hughenden this morning we were chatting about the many things that have stayed in our minds on this amazing trip to date.



Dust. It is everywhere and it comes predominantly in 3 tones, they being red, brown and grey – with many hues thereof in between! It is unavoidable, despite any precautions we might take, and it is a real bother to get rid of. The van will take a proper good cleaning inside and out once we return home.



There is nothing between towns. Signs tell you that there is no fuel for x number of kms. Not only is there no fuel there is nothing, absolutely nothing. You can travel for over 300kms and all you will see are extensive brown, dry paddocks.



Dust. There is a lot of dust – everywhere.



Changes in the countryside. The landscape changes quickly and often from grassland that has been bleached to a yellowish white from the searing sun to low scrubby bushland and then to small trees that follow parched river or creek beds – but always the land is harsh.



Spider-like tumbleweeds blow about, hawks swoop and soar on the thermals, the sky is an endless blue and the horizons disappear in a heat haze. Occasionally there are patches of green pick at the roadside edge and it is here you can count in the hundreds the amount of road kill. Kangaroo carcasses in various stages of decomposition attract both hawk and crow and remaining bones lay brittle.



Dust. Did I mention dust?



What we have thoroughly enjoyed throughout the outback is the hospitality and friendship shown to us by so many people – they are genuinely happy to see you and appreciate whatever time and money you spend in their small town. They always have time to stop for a yarn and to regale stories about their area as well as finding out a little bit of you.



To sit quietly under a million stars twinkling bright in the wash of the Milky Way is humbling and extremely grounding – definitely a favourite memory.



The Australian Outback – nothing like it anywhere!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb