Amazing 69 yr old woman, Cowboys and "The Pub with No Beer " !


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Wyandra
April 26th 2006
Published: April 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

HangiHangiHangi

BBQ - OZ Style !
Imagine a 69 year old woman traveling around Australia on a bicycle. Amazing huh ? I was relaxing on a hammock when an old lady on a push bike asked me for direction. She’s been push biking all day from Cunnamulla to Wyandra, which only takes an hour and a half drive by car. She wanted to camp in Wyandra for the night then head to Charleville in the morning. I showed her the free camp site and gave her a couple of soda water to drink. Her name is Margaret. She is from Germany. She started push biking from Melbourne when I met her in Wyandra. She’s truly an amazing lady. She could have easily qualified in the Guinness Book of Record for the oldest woman to travel around Australia on a push bike. She said everyone can do it. You just have to put your mind into it. We caught up with her again on our way to Charleville the next day to do some shopping. Apparently, a lot of people were taking pictures of her and she's quite famous.

We spent Easter Holiday in Wyandra, a very remote small town 10 hours drive South West
MargaretMargaretMargaret

A 69 yr. old woman from Germany traveling around Australia on a bicycle ! This photo was taken when we caught up with her on the way to Charleville.
of Queensland. Wyandra has less than 100 in population. It has a primarily school with only 9 students and a teacher, a town hall that’s hardly used, a chapel with no priest and a pub with no beer (*just kidding*) - the pub has beer, it just hasn’t dried up yet :> . However, you’ll be surprised that Wyandra get tourists from other towns & even overseas. It has free camping site complete with facilities such as shower, toilet & electricity. You can swim & fish in the river. It has its own unique beach along the river. Locals and tourists are baffled how the sand got there. The other attractions to Wyandra are the native wildlife. You’ll be awaken by the chirping birds in the morning, be amused by hopping kangaroos, sprinting emus, foxes, cattle, sheep and wild goats. The surrounding areas of Wyandra are grazing land. The graziers (property owners) mainly raise cattle and sheep. They also sometimes profit from selling wild goats to the export market.

We were very lucky to have been invited to Mr. and Mrs. McDonald's party. They were celebrating 100 year anniversary on their property (Lombardy). It sounds like a joke saying “Yeah ….we’ve been invited to the McDonalds’ Farm”. It’s a costume party so I tried to pass as cowgirl wearing a cowboy hat and a denim vest. They closed off an area in the open field with party lights powered by a generator. They hired a sound system blasting R&B songs throughout the property. They also have fireworks, which lit up the dark sky throughout the night. They’ve slaughtered a cow and few sheep for the HANGI - the meat & vegies were cooked under the ground, to feed the guests.

Everyone looked fantastic in their costume. There was this one guy called Duncan who stood out like a sore thumb. He was wearing a bottomless cowboy pants and a hat. Duncan’s hairless @ss became the centrepiece of our conversation that night. Apparently, Western arses are hairy ! well then - Duncan either shaved his hairy @ss or such statement is a load of crap ! I certainly didn’t see a single strand of hair on that bare @asss ..... (maybe we should had a close look eh ?????)
My sister was a little discreet about the whole thing but we all know that she sneaks a peek when nobody's looking ... heheh ! (*no offence sis ! *)

In a way Duncan deserved thanks and praise for such display of bravery. He has provided us with so much laughter & happy tears that night. It takes a lot of guts to go out in such an outrageous outfit … so two thumbs up for Duncan !............ and Margaret who’s truly an amazing old lady.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Party - Oz Style !Party - Oz Style !
Party - Oz Style !

This is how they party in the Outback ...they do it in style !
Costume PartyCostume Party
Costume Party

100 year anniversary party at the McDonald's property
Costume PartyCostume Party
Costume Party

100 year anniversary party at the McDonald\'s property
Costume Party Costume Party
Costume Party

100 year anniversary party at the McDonald property
Costume Party Costume Party
Costume Party

100 year anniversary party at the McDonald property
Janine & I Janine & I
Janine & I

... with some hairy wookiees & drunk nun
The big Cake !The big Cake !
The big Cake !

my hand almost got burnt with the sparkles as I tried to get one of those blue alcoholic drinks.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Sunset in Wyandra
BrolgasBrolgas
Brolgas

Australian Birds
CattleCattle
Cattle

different breed of Australian cattle
Miniature PonyMiniature Pony
Miniature Pony

Ryan checking out the pony being taken for an early morning walk.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb