Day 18 - Windorah to Innamincka


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Windorah
May 21st 2017
Published: May 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Before leaving Windorah we thought we had better find out whether the road to Innamincka was open. The Tourist Information lady wasn't sure and the policeman wasn't there, presumably manning a radar trap down at the roadworks. Although it was worth noting that there was a policeman in Windorah which has a population of 80 which means that more that more than 1% of the population is employed by the police. On Imparja (some kind of TV channel) they are advertising for more police so this percentage could increase. Anyway I decided that the servo was our best bet plus it was the local cafe. The lady there told me that yesterday the road was open (we would have missed out on Windorah if we thought it was) but apparently there had been a dispute between the police and the local council about who had responsibility for opening it, But she told me that her fuel truck was heading down there so it was all good. Off we went. I was enjoying Blake Shelton as we sped to the Arabury Road turnoff when Becs said "What's that noise?" Initially I thought she was referring to Blake but there was a noise............let me tell you that at 110ks a Landcruiser can be really tricky, but due to brilliant driving all was OK (still waiting on the McLaren call). The rear tyre was completely shredded, I did another quick change and off we went. The road to Arabury (Arabury Road or Planet Road depending on which property you come from) is fantastic red dirt and great to drive on, its a little narrow. As we got closer to the Dig Tree turnoff there were really deep ruts clearly from a road train which had been struggling to get through. We found the Dig Tree turnoff and then it happened. I used low range. It was a lot of fun slipping and sliding through the mud. The campsite was great with campsites all along Cooper Creek which of course was the base camp for Burke and Wills.

Things we learnt today:

- there are too many police in Windorah

- I should drive slower


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb