Airlie Beach - Whitsunday islands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
October 30th 2006
Published: November 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 92 - The most talked about islands...did it meet our expectations and did it top Fraser island? Yes! Well they are totally different in their own ways but it was another breathtaking trip. We had a great boat run by a family, with great non stop food and a great skipper called Phil. This trip was one of the best! The Mantaray was the name of the boat. The trip involved the fantastic and famous Whitehaven beach, Mantaray island where we snorkelled and an a long walk to the look out point over Whitehaven beach. The photos dont do it justice as you have to see it to believe Whitehaven beach, the contrast of colours, shades of blue and white sand cover the whole beach area with swirly patterns. Scientists recently studied the sand here and wanted to take it for certain 5 star resorts but the fact its a national park stopped them, the sand reflects the sun so it doesnt get hot, which is strange as it it was in the 90's temp wise and a very high humidity. Once down at the beach, it was like Lake Mc Kenzie of Fraser but salt water this time, but pure white sand and clear blue all the way out to sea. Just the best thing ever, we did put sexy suits to cover us from the jellyfish, no sharks this time though, lots of sting rays though..arrggghhh. The look out point was just as spectacular, see the pics. Just awesome! After Whitehaven was the snorkelling at Mataray island (another Whitsunday stop), Amanda was petrified as she hates the fish swimming near her,seaweed and not knowing whats in the water. Luckily she could be taken out on a dingy and put her head under the water out of the boat to get her used to it. After an hour and a half she plucked up the courage to go in and she had a great time. We saw a huge Maori Wrasse which was absolutely massive, and Amanda fed him, we were on the outskirts of the great barrier reef and the fish were fabby, so bright and didnt care that us huge things were swimming with them. Steve got the bug and loved the snorkle, making his decision to do a scuba when we get to Cairns and do what we have only dreamed of and visit the true Great Barrier Reef.

The Whitsunday Islands are a true memory taker, and a must do on a trip to Oz.

Only downside was that we left the mobile phone at our last stop (in a motel), they are posting it to us and it is yet to arrive, so sorry to those who have text, keep to the email for now. We may have to get it sent to Sydney which is our last stop.

Love to you All!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1007s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb