Whitsundays, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
October 26th 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Australia after a long bumpy flight from Singapore to a dull overcast day. We flew into Brisbane and then transferred to another flight up to Townsville to start our journey south. We had originally had decided to start from Townsville to allow us to go on a snorkeling trip to The Great Barrier Reef but after seeing the weather and prices we decided to have a change of plan and headed down to Airlie Beach to do a sailing trip around the Whitsundays islands instead. Luckily by the time we had arrive in Airlie Beach the weather had improved and we were looking forward to our trip.

The trip was for 2 days and 2 nights aboard a yacht called SV Whitehaven so on Sunday morning we joined the other guests aboard the boat and headed out. Once we were out of the marina we headed to our first snorkeling spot which was really good, there were loads of tropical fish and bright colourful coral. After snorkeling we ended the day watching the sun set from the yacht. The other guests and crew were really friendly so we enjoyed the evening with them whilst star gazing. The next day started with a trip over to Whitehaven beach. On the way there we managed to see some turtles coming up for air which was really exciting. After a short bush walk we went to a really good view point then headed down to the beach. The sand on Whitehaven is really white and the beach is kept natural with tourists kept to a minimum so it was really impressive. The shallow water close to the beach also acts as a nursery for reef sharks which was really cool to see, it was a bit unnerving to see them swim around close to your legs as we stood in the water.

We then headed back to the yacht for lunch then set off to our second snorkeling spot. The reef there was even better, the coral appears in all sorts of illuminous colours with fish to match. After snorkeling we again headed out to watch the sun set. This time we left the boat and watched from a large sand bank as it was low tide. There was lots of things to see here too with loads of hermit crabs running around and more sharks in the shallows, it was a really great day.

The final morning started with a last chance to do a spot of snorkeling before breakfast which was fun. Then we headed back to Airlie Beach. We're now back and getting ready to head down to Hervey Bay and Fraser Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



31st October 2010

MINT !
Sounds absolutly up our street... love the beach and the sharks around your feet aaarrrh The sunsets must be very awesome and moving..... Enjoy every minute you lucky pair ( we want to be there) Love dad and mum xxx

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb