Long Island Via Townsville


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
October 23rd 2007
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was a long travel day. It was up early on the road by 6:30 am. It was about 700k to the wharf to get the boat to long island. This is a day where they will leave people behind if you are not ready in time as we have to make the last ferry of the day. No one on my tour was left behind but I know someone was on another tour last year.

We stopped at Townsville for lunch for an hour or two where we could shop and stock up on supplies. We were unable to buy alco to take to the island though however I think a few people managed to sneak some on the boat across in their luggage.

We arrived in Airlee Beach and were given around 45 minutes to look around and buy snack food for the island, use the internet etc.

We caught the last ferry of the day which was at 5:15 pm. It was a catamaran. You got to go past lots of the other islands on the way to Long Island. I cant remember how long it was but think about 45 mins.

A warning though. The water was not rough but if you do get sea sick tablets are recommended. One person on our trip was quite ill. Quite a few others, including myself, took tablets to be on the safe side.

We got welcomes at the dock by a guy from the island who walked us to our accommodation telling jokes, informing of the wildlife, talking up the cocktail and swim to bar, the islands activities and warned girls to beware of the one eyes snake.

We had a buffet dinner included tonight which was really nice.

We then sat on the beach and bar drinking. Games were played but i cant remember what. I think there was trivia happening. There was another Contiki on the island plus Connections but everyone pretty much stuck to their groups. Cocktails kept coming lots of selections and dancing on the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb