And another conference - what a wonderful life!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Toowoomba
August 27th 2006
Published: August 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday morning we were sitting in our living room madly packing (and managing to get away with 2 bags for 4 people) and leaving Cooktown by 11.15 we headed down the new sealed road from Cooktown to Cairns in time to make it for our Virgin Blue flight to Brisbane.

We decided to try the new online check-in - what a wonderful idea! It meant that we had our seating organised well before we got to the airport and of course we had our printed Boarding Pass....all ready and raring to go

We arrived in Cairns by 3.30pm ready to catch our 5.30pm flight for Brisbane. Straight in to the Baggage Drop unlike many others waiting in line (definitely we would advise anyone to make use of this option) and then on to find a spot in the Departure Lounge and a cup of coffee and tea while waiting for our flight to be called. Our wonderful form of transport was spot on time - what can I say? We love Virgin Blue. It is our favourite airline domestically and of course Virgin Atlantic to Hong Kong and England.

We arrived in Brisbane by 7.30pm collected our bags and made our way to Hertz to collect our Hire Car and then headed to Gatton so that the girls could visit the farm. Staying there overnight was wonderful and then we have the 1/2 hour trek to Toowoomba after lunch. We found our hotel at the Grammar View hotel in Margaret St dropped our bags and went for a quick drive around the town. Bearing in mind that it was Sunday afternoon there was nothing open to visit. Really it was a shame but nonetheless we found dinner and then headed back to our hotel to settle in for the night.

Facts about Gatton:

The Lockyer Valley is a peak farming area.

Not much is open on Sunday morning although there is a chemist/pharmacy/drug store open on Sundays on a rotational basis.

The town of Gatton is sprawling urbanised although retains its link t the land around it.

University of Queensland has a campus in Gatton although it is one of the oldest in Australia and was previously known as the Gatton Agricultural College and opened in around 1898.


Facts about Toowoomba:

Lots of very good schools.

Toowoomba has recently held a referendum of residents concerning the use of recycled water

Toowoomba is the home of the Carnival of Flowers each year.

Toowoomba is in the grip of one of the worst droughts ever to befall the area

Toowoomba has great shopping (can't wait)

Nighty night all!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb