Cairns/Whitsundays/Surfers Paradise


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Surfers Paradise
November 23rd 2010
Published: November 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, its been a long time since I've updated (mainly due to the remote places I've been in the last little while!). Had a great time in Cairns again. I went on another reef tour with the Contiki group which was actually a lot better than the first one. It was more what I was expecting to see: big coral reef shelves with big drop offs and TONS of fish swimming around. We saw a neat one called a Mauri Wrasse and I got a great professional underwater picture taken with one. It is really neat looking. It was about a meter long and really fat with giant lips and a bulbous head. I'll try to upload it later.

From Cairns we went to the Whitsundays islands. We stayed on an island called Daydream island and the resort was really beautiful. And there were little wallaby's jumping around everywhere! They look JUST like mini kangaroos. And some of them had little joey's in their pouch. Sometimes the joey's would even climb out of the pouch and jump around for a bit but then get back in the pouch. Cute! They also had a man-made reef in the center of the resort with a little lagoon and a bunch of sharks and sting rays and little Nemo and Dora fish. I got to hold a shark, starfish and sea cucumber (ew...). I also got to pet the stingrays.

From Daydream we went to Rockhampton... well... the far far outskirts of Rockhampton, right to the middle of nowhere and a beautiful cattle ranch. They owned 26,000 acres of land! They had 2 air strips and their own cessna's and helicopters to fly from one end to the other. They had built a large building that looked like a barn/airplane hanger and converted it to a whole bunch of rooms for us to sleep in. There was also a main area which was where we ate and sang kareokee in the nights! We went on a tractor ride of the property and saw the cows. We also learned how to use a whip! I'm embarassed to say that I picked it up almost instantly, haha.

Then we went to Fraser Island. We got to stay right on the island which not many people get to do. Unfortunately by this point it had been raining for about 5 days and we didn't get there until late at night. We left early in the morning so we did not get a chance to really see much of the island. There was an optional tour that I could've done to see the island, but I'm trying to budget my money... need to save some for New Zealand!

Next stop was Noussa. Just a quick stop. It's a small town with a gorgeous beach. We swam and went on a hike to try to find Koala bears but unfortunately didn't see any. In the evening we had a nice meal at the Surf Club there which is kind of like a country club.

Now we are in Surfer's Paradise! Last night we got in a bit late. Right now something called "Schoolies" is going on. Basically its the Australian version of Spring break in Florida, and 33,000 17-18 year olds have flocked to the city to party. Its a little congested but I took refuge today at Jamie's place. We went to a beach a little outside of Surfer's paradise. Tonight we are going to a dinner show/cabaret called Dracula's which is suppose to be awesome!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



23rd November 2010

So Fun!
Hi Christy!! This looks like sooo much fun. I loved the pictures of the fish and other sea critters. Glad to see that you are having such a great time! Keep the updates coming. Hugs Krys p.s. when do you come home?
28th November 2010
Photo 5

eee!
that big fish looks scary to me!
29th November 2010

Return
Hey Krys, I'm back on Dec 13th :)
29th November 2010
Stinger suits!

hey christy!! looks like you've had so much fun!!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb