Surfer's Paradise (and Byron Bay)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Surfers Paradise
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The parade! 68 secs
On arrival at Surfer's Paradise (the party town of Queensland) we were immediately coerced into going on a cowboy-themed bar crawl that evening, so we dutifully obliged, with hats, fluorescent pendants and many pictures to show for it!

Headed to the beach the following day to recover, and although we had booked a surfing lesson for the afternoon, it was rescheduled for the next day, which we were quite relieved about, as we were still fairly knackered (no, not hungover!) from the night before! We actually then spent the rest of the day either jumping through waves, or surfing through them on bodyboards, which was a laugh but incredibly hard work, especially as there weren't too many decent waves, and when we did manage to catch a good one, it often ended up with us getting sucked under and swallowing mouthfuls of seawater - nice!

The next day, we got picked up extremely early for surfing lessons in the wave pool; we had a couple of minutes to practice 'getting up onto the board' on the grass, and then it was in at the deep end as we grabbed our boards along with the 3 others in our group...Both of us managed to get the hang of it fairly quickly and were soon standing up and giggling as we surfed coolly into the shallow end of the pool (ok, so not so coolly every time) but we got some awesome photos! We then got dropped off at MovieWorld, where we started the day by watching the parade, then going on a few rides (although we tried the Lethal Weapon rollercoaster and my head got tossed from side to side so much that my ears were ringing by the time I got off the ride!) - hence the slower, more laid-back rides (no, they're not just for kids!) We enjoyed the Shrek 4D film, along with the Police Academy Stunt Show, which was hilarious, if a little cheesy... We also got soaked on the giant water splash ride, but all in all an awesome day - we were exhausted when we returned to the hostel!

On our last day in Surfer's, we decided to go to Wet 'n' Wild, and even though it was a little cold, there were no queues at all at the park, which meant we could go on any and all of the rides of our choice. We spent most of the time trying to psyche ourselves up for the biggest ride there, which consisted of riding in an inflatable down an extremely steep slide, and going into what looked like a giant cone, where we swished up the sides of the cone until we came out into a wave pool - extremely addictive! We actually also headed straight to Byron Bay from Surfer's, but only spent a couple of nights there, and were a little disappointed, as we didn't have great weather, and where we were staying wasn't so great either...never mind 😞


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Me and DaffyMe and Daffy
Me and Daffy

Yes, I got proposed to...by a duck!


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb