More on the kangaroo, and other stuff


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Sunshine Coast
July 14th 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So I'm a tourist. I was really really excited about seeing the kangaroo the other morning. Well i went out in the evening to take some pictures (which didn't turn out at all), and i saw 20 more chilling right next to the apartments. Then i saw more the next morning. This is a very common occurrence at the Uni, i have seen at least one roo every day now. This is b/c the Uni is right next to a wildlife preserve. There are signs saying "do not approach the kangaroos". I even saw one with a little joey hanging out of her pouch.

grocery shopping here is an experience. first off, it takes about 30 minutes to walk there. it takes me so long to shop b/c i dont know the brand names for anything. i am used to just looking for an image, but now i have to actually read the boxes to find out what i am buying. since the store is so far away, you are allowed (not really) to take the shopping carts with you. the parking lot of the apartments are littered with carts. my favorite are the carts from the liquor store.

i am having an amazing time here. a lot more people have arrived (finally) so i am meeting so many new people. its hard to keep track of them. there are countless "shindigs" every night, which only helps to meet more people. in fact, i was waiting in line today for orientation and new almost everyone just b/c of these late night social gatherings.

lot of international students here. its not unusual to here several different languages in the same room. i have made friends from finland, germany, australia, the states, england, switzerland, and more.

classes start a week from today. they are much different here than i am used to. at grand valley, you have a class a few times a week. but here, its only once a week for 3-5 hours. i don't know how well i am going to do with that. i cannot sit for a very long time without going crazy. we shall see.

more random things...
i was looking through the orientation guide... its gonna be a great week. free food and events for the next four days.

the currency here is plastic-like. you cannot tear it and its water(booze)proof.

there are some german Universities that have more than 100,000 students. (i was taking to my roomies)

there are some beverage games that are played across the world

i am having so much fun here. hope all is well.

thanks much,
malcolm

malcolmcamp@gmail.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb