Wed 16th onwards up the coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rockhampton
January 20th 2008
Published: January 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wed 16th / Thurs 17th.
We stayed in Hervey Bay for a few days hoping the wethaer will improve further north so we can go up there. It's better here now, been dry for two days and I sat on a beach for the first time since Coogee Beach a month ago. Thursday we went on a day trip to Fraser Island - the world's largest sand island. Fiftenn minutes into driving along the sandy track through the thick woods the coach splashed through a puddle, there was a hot smell and the driver's PA sounded as if he'd dunked it in a bowl of water. He stopped the coach and then it wouldn't start again. The jeep behind stopped to help and there was talk over walkie talkies of alternators, solonoids and batteries. Some of us got off the coach and got bitten by sandflies, and then the jeep tugged and the guys pushed and got the coach started again. We all piled on and went straight to munch at the Happy Valley Resort. There we swapped coaches and continued on the rest of the tour. A drive along Seventy Five Mile Beach - one of the main roads on the island, also doubling as a runway - to inspect the shipwrecked Maheno, sunk in the sand since 1935 having resisted all efforts to refloat it; paddle up Eli Creek; and swim in Lake Garawongera where the water is stained brown from the Melaleuca trees and softens the skin. I sat in the shallows and scrubbed my knees and elbows with silica sand.
We saw a dingo too. He obligingly crossed the road in front of us the stopped among the trees - on my side of the coach - to stare back at us as we stared at him. The dingoes on the island are pure - no unneutered dogs are allowed on the island in order to preserve the purity of the dingoes.
Coming back on the boat we heard a cry of 'Dolphins' and we all rushed to the side of the boat. i swa three fins dipping in and out of the water.
In the evening we went to the Boat Club - the nearest licensed place to our site. There was a trio of musicians, seemingly less popular than the raffle that had preceded the music, but I loved it. The post 60 (year-old) beat scene is alive and kicking in Hervey Bay and Kev and i knew most of the words (better in fact than the lead singer, who seemed to think that two good verses were worth repeating again and again.) The bass player showed off a bit, and the lead guitarist fancied himself as a Hank Marvin sound-alike. They played old 60's stuff and I got up on the floor to 'Let's twist again'.

Have to stop now - my time is running out and i have a drink waiting


Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb