Port Douglas - Nature Adventure Part 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
November 11th 2012
Published: November 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Mossman RiverMossman RiverMossman River

Babbles over rocky river bed.
One of our adventures was a half day into Mossman Gorge. Even though we were there at the end of the dry season, the river/streams were flowing steadily.

Mossman Gorge has been a popular spot for years, but parking and fascilities were near non-existant until a couple of months back. The local Aboriginal people have built a huge carpark, and then run a shuttle bus up to the palk walkway entrance. Visitors can do one of several self guided walks, or there are now escorted tours where the Aboriginal Guide will tell of their tribal past in this very picturesque valley.

Everytime we go out and about we see something really fascinating in the bush. On this walk we came accross a male scrub turkey building a nest for his beloved. The bigger the nest mound, the higher up the chick picking order! Anyway, the size of the leaf mould nest is important as this is the incubator for the eggs which will be burried below the surface, out of sight of preditors.

Mr Turkey was virtually trance like as he scraped up leaves and swished them behind him to build the nest. He took no notice of
Mr TurkeyMr TurkeyMr Turkey

Only one thing on his mind!
me or my camera - his focus was singular - build the nest.

In each rainforest there is a different mix of trees, lichens, fungii etc, so the couple of hours it took to walk the circuit through the gorge went very quickly. The diversity of creation always amazes. Trees, animals, lizards and birds, each specie having little variations that make them unique and able to survive in their current location. In this forest there is little food for mamels or marsupials, but the bird life kept us craning upwards trying to see who was calling.

The new Park Centre is just getting underway serving meals and selling artwork and souvineers. Looks very good with quality fascilities. Support these people - they deserve it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Butterfly Poses on rockButterfly Poses on rock
Butterfly Poses on rock

Cruiser Butterfly
Mossman Gorge riverMossman Gorge river
Mossman Gorge river

Gentle flow now, but reacts quickly to tropical rain.
Great swimming holeGreat swimming hole
Great swimming hole

But caution needs to be exercised
Sandy PoolSandy Pool
Sandy Pool

Water was trickling out of the rock face into this very clean clear pool.
Textured RootsTextured Roots
Textured Roots

Very stylish root systems on many of these trees. The soil is shallow and of poor quality here, so roots go for miles.
A shelter placeA shelter place
A shelter place

We looked for aboriginal art here, but if it has been here it has been eraised .
Tree with fruit/nuts growing from trunkTree with fruit/nuts growing from trunk
Tree with fruit/nuts growing from trunk

Not sure about this tree - could be a native mahogany.
Halloween in the forestHalloween in the forest
Halloween in the forest

Not quite, but this growth on the side of the tree had that spooky look!
FungiFungi
Fungi

So many varieties in this forest alone.
Water CatchersWater Catchers
Water Catchers

This series of fungi were catching droplets of water in their saucer like tops.
Great coloured fungiGreat coloured fungi
Great coloured fungi

Sorry that this is a little out of focus
More fungiMore fungi
More fungi

growing on the end of a rotting log.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb