To Port Douglas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
July 22nd 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

NZ back to Aus


So here we are - back in Australia.
It was an early start to get to Auckland airport for 7am, but we made it ok. Then a 5 hour flight to Cairns. We arrived and admitted to the immigration that we'd stayed on a farm, and after a few questions they took our shoes away and cleaned them for us!
We also had to wait a while for the hire car to arrive, but it was upgraded to a van. At least the luggage was easy to fit in! Our last two cars it was a bit of a jigsaw to get all the cases into the boot.
Anyway, we set off for Port Douglas and our first two nights at the Barrier Reef. We got there at about 4pm, and went for a swim. The outside temperature was about 25C, and the pools looked very inviting, and we jumped in. They were very cold initially, but we found them ok after a few minutes, except Cath who didn't get used to it!
We then drove around to find a supermarket and some food for tea. We've had nearly all our meals made for us on the NZ farm, so its a bit of a shock to have to cater for ourselves again!

Also included in a picture here that I took in Nelson, of some of the stars in the southern hemisphere. You can see the southern cross, a sort of diamond with a star in the middle - and two pointing stars above it - one of which is Alpha Centuri - the closest star to us.
Tomorrow we'll have to explore the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

StarsStars
Stars

The southern cross just above the horizon, and the two pointing stars above it.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb