The Rainforest Habitat (Breakfast with the Birds)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
January 25th 2007
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The bacon stealerThe bacon stealerThe bacon stealer

A bird knocks over the bucksfizz and runs off with Jason's second helping of bacon!
We headed for The Rainforest Habitat for 8am where they offer a buffet breakfast in what I can only concisely describe as a bird sanctuary. You're not meant to actually feed the birds, but as a kindly American girl offered to take our photo, a bird swooped down, stole some of my second helping of bacon and knocked over the bucksfizz in doing so. Also saw our first Cassoway here - had no idea they were so big or colourful (they are the size of a man). Also saw plenty of Koalas, kangaroos and crocs amongst many other native animals. A great half day.

The afternoon was again spent on the beautiful Four Mile Beach. We walked up to the Flagstaff Hill lookout for a full view of the beach. In Port Douglas is also the most married in chapel in Australia, given it's stunning back-drop.

We had the most incredible thunder storm we'd ever heard that night and it rained torrentially for the whole night. I feared the next day we'd need a boat rather than a hire car...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Fending off the birds #1Fending off the birds #1
Fending off the birds #1

The birds show a keen interest in the jam.
Fending off the birds #2Fending off the birds #2
Fending off the birds #2

"I told you, enough is enough!"
A Koala asleepA Koala asleep
A Koala asleep

What they do best - 19 hrs of the day! I'm sure I was a Koala in a previous life.
A CassowayA Cassoway
A Cassoway

Endangered due to the destruction of their rainforest habitat. Flightless bird, the size of a man.
The bacon returnsThe bacon returns
The bacon returns

Minutes later, Jason's last rasher of bacon is being fought over. Another bird takes possession
Kangaroos & WallabiesKangaroos & Wallabies
Kangaroos & Wallabies

Taking shade from the very hot sun


Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 27; qc: 75; dbt: 0.122s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb