Planet Earth meets Stradbroke Island


Advertisement
Published: August 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Some choose to spend the Queensland public Ekka holiday at the show grounds and others choose to travel over to Straddie and experience the golden sands and deserted beaches instead. Guess what we decided to do?

We were fortunate enough to have a complimentary two night stay at our favourite residential accommodation at Home Beach so left work early and caught the 5pm ferry and enjoyed watching the sunset over Moreton Bay as we travelled the 45 minute crossing and went into instant relax mode.

We had recently changed our car and bought a Toyota Landcruiser 4WD so that we could experience off road driving and explore more of the Australian outback on future holidays. So with a permit to drive on the beach and a tide timetable we planned to explore Main and Flinders Beach over the next couple of days and enjoy the beautiful scenery to date, out of reach to us. We were fortunate enough to share our two days with Cieran and Seb who brought their girlfriends Kate and Katie with them, how confusing is that?

Our nature experience began when we were entertained by four cheeky Kookaburras and Pied Butcher birds as they jostled for our breakfast left overs as we sat on the deck over looking the shrub lands at the back of the resort.

We then enjoyed sitting on the rock cliffs at Point Lookout with a coffee and watched Humpback Whales swim past as they returned from the warmer waters in Hervey Bay with their calves along with some very bizarre behaviours as two whales thrashed their tails for almost ten minutes in what appeared to be fun and frolics in the shallow waters. We then watched dolphins surf the waves, turtles bob along the surface and dodge the rocks as the waves crashed into the gorge and rays skim the water. It was like watching the BBC without the 3D glasses!

Scrambling over the rocks at Deadmans Beach we watched as a crab in a rock pool shed its outer shell after we touched it, obviously feeling threatened, it was like watching an alien giving birth!

Later driving along Main Beach we found a turtle washed up on the beach alongside kangaroos grazing on the coarse grass as Brahmany Kites and White Bellied Sea Eagles soared above our heads and Oyster Catchers and Plovers waded in the shallow waters, David Attenborough would have had a field day!

It was a fantastic break and as always we returned home having had our batteries recharged. We are so fortunate to be able to travel there in less than 90 minutes and leave the city lights behind us a hidden treasure. We look forward to another visit and a brush with nature first hand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

A good viewing position.A good viewing position.
A good viewing position.

Kevin enjoying the sights out at sea.
Main BeachMain Beach
Main Beach

The east side of Straddie where you can drive along the beach and hardly see a living soul.
Kangaroo on the beach.Kangaroo on the beach.
Kangaroo on the beach.

A rather bizarre sight.
TurtleTurtle
Turtle

Washed up on Main Beach.


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb