Benaraby/Boyne River to Noosa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa
July 14th 2016
Published: September 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Our morning began with a quick fish in the Boyne River. The fish jumping, however we just couldn't catch the Barramundi we desired. As we departed at 0800hrs, odometer 96798, 14 degrees celsius. Our Land Drover Discovery put to the test getting us up out of the steep rocky river base. Our first fuel stop was at Bororen, a small township on the Bruce Highway, diesel cost 120.9 cents per litre.

Like Captain Cook in 1770, we passed the exterior of Gladstone, 550 kilometres north of Brisbane. However Matthew Flinders during his circumnavigation of Australia and in not a hurry became the first European to sight the harbour in August 1802.. The Gladstone's primary industry is mining related with the port a large facility that is the 5th largest multi-commodity port in Australia with the worlds 4th largest coal exporting terminal. Major exports include coal, alumina, aluminium, cement products, sodium cyanide and ammonium nitrate. Controversially the Gladstone Harbour is within the World Heritage Area of the Great Barrier Reef. Travelling the Bruce Highway in this area we travelled along side many coal trains and over a lot of train line crossings.

A point of interest we had discussed prior to Our Big Lap was 1770. The Agnes Waters region and 1770 is in the Gladstone region, North of Fraser Island and South of Airlie Beach. At 1770 we walked the beach in drizzling rain and viewed the Captain Cook Monument. 1770 is so named because Lieutenant (Captain) James Cook docked his ship the HM Bark Endeavour here on May 24, 1770. The first documented European discovery of Queensland. Joseph Banks the ships Botanist came to shore here and collected 33 species of plant that Europeans were unfamiliar with.

We walked a little of the Joseph Banks Environmental Park which preserves much of the peninsula with fauna and flora indicative of the area. The rugged granite outcrops in the surf and inner are good for fishing and surfing. We visited the unhelpful information centre and had coffee and milk shakes at a local café.

Moving on down the east coast we stopped and purchased freshly picked strawberries on the north side of Bundaberg at 1330hrs. With minimal time to stop and do all the tourist activities around Bundaberg we decided that lunch in the park would satisfy our visit. Bundaberg is a vibrant modern city at the heart of a region taking in coastal and country towns, home to some 95000 people. "Bundy" as affectionately known by the locals offers many things to see and do, from meeting sea turtles, exploring the southern reef, sampling locally grown fruit and vegetables, seafood and of course the infamous Bundaberg Rum made from the sugar cane in the region.

Alexandra Park in Bundaberg where we ate lunch is situated along the Boyne River, here our Alexandra managed to fall and badly graze her hands and left knee. Patched up we travelled on down the coast. Because of time did not prevail we had to miss a planned part of our trip here and not go to Hervey Bay and Fraser Island. Peter and myself already visiting before we decided to hold over this area for another time when we had time to enjoy it.

Just after twilight we arrived at the Top Caravan Park Noosa, with a small site, great amenities, rated 10/10 and in drizzling rain. Happy for well earned showers and rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb